With incentives, including winning multiple Cy Young awards, Darvish could earn up to $150 million, according to The Athletic.
With Darvish undergoing Tommy John surgery back in 2015, you can expect similar numbers that he put up in the 2016 and 2017 seasons for his future, since Tommy John surgery usually affect a player's future.
The deal nearly certainly signals the end of Arrieta's time with the Cubs, a successful run in the Windy City that included a Cy Young award. He landed in Los Angeles at the trade deadline when Texas dealt him for two minor leaguers and outfielder Willie Calhoun.
Darvish joins Kyle Hendricks, Jon Lester, Jose Quintana and Tyler Chatwood in the Cubs' rotation. He was, at times, the pitcher who was second - to Max Scherzer - in the 2013 AL Cy Young balloting, and then oddly vulnerable in the strike zone.
But Darvish was hit hard in the World Series against Houston, managing just five outs in each of his two starts - including a loss in Game 7 - and there was talk he was tipping his pitches.
Six years ago, the Rangers paid more than $110 million to acquire Darvish - $60 million in salary and the rest to Darvish's team in Japan, the Nippon Ham Fighters, for whom Darvish pitched seven seasons and established himself as the best pitcher in the Pacific League. However, the right-hander did suffer a very subpar postseason, posting a 5.81 ERA across six starts, which possibly hurt his value heading into the offseason.
According to ESPN Stats & Information, Darvish has a 2.42 ERA in eight career starts against the NL Central, including the postseason.
Arrieta, Lynn and Cobb would appear to be the next free-agent options for clubs seeking to complete their rotations. He went 10-12, had an ERA of 3.86, threw 186.2 innings pitched, had 209 strikeouts, and a 3.8 WAR.
- Abe meets Moon in S.Korea
- Two police officers shot and killed in Ohio
- Vipshop (VIPS) Earns Media Impact Rating of 0.15
- Trump 'weighing his options' on release of Democratic memo - White House
- Crown Castle International Corp. (REIT) (CCI) - Analyst rating score stands at 2.20
- Duterte to personally plead for Kuwait OFWs
- Three Indigo-operated A320neo planes grounded after Airbus engine issue
- Area snow emergencies declared beginning Thursday evening
- Senate strikes 2-year budget deal: 5 takeaways for healthcare leaders
- Batshuayi helps give Reus a winning Dortmund return