The 61-year-old Cordeiro, along with Carter, was widely seen as an establishment candidate by other contenders in the field, who had demanded sweeping changes to the USSF following the country's shock failure to reach this summer's World Cup in Russian Federation. The field initially featured eight candidates.
Carlos Cordeiro - 68.6% Kathy Carter - 10.6% Kyle Martino - 10.6% Eric Wynalda - 8.9% Hope Solo - 1.4%.
Solo cited earning $40,000 less than than USMNT goalkeeper Tim Howard in 2008 despite playing 15 more games and winning the World Cup and winning league keeper of the year honors when Howard didn't win anything, approves unequal playing conditions and pay among the men's women's professional ranks as evidence of the federation/s ineptitude under Cordeiro.
Jeff Carlisle covers MLS and the USA national team for ESPN FC.
A life-long soccer fan, Cordeiro becomes President after serving in various roles with U.S. Soccer since being appointed as the Federation's first Independent Director in 2007.
Cordeiro has also previously served as treasurer, chair of the Budget Committee and Director of the U.S. Soccer Foundation.
"We can't be here four years from now, realizing we made big mistakes", Solo said.
He had received 36 percent and 42 percent respectively on the first two ballots, where he was involved in a tight battle with Kathy Carter, the on-leave president of Major League Soccer's marketing arm.
Carter's support among delegates attending USSF's annual general meeting slipped each round - from 34.6 percent to 33.3 on the second ballot, to 10.6 on the third, when the field had shrunk to five.
To win election, Cordeiro needed a majority of the weighted vote. In addition, he represents U.S. Soccer on the CONCACAF Council and FIFA's Stakeholders Committee.
Caligiuri withdrew after taking just 0.5 percent of the vote on the first ballot while Michael Winograd and Steven Gans followed suit after the second.
"Thank you to those of you who have supported me today", Cordeiro said in a statement. No one council has enough votes to get you across the line. "I think we have an opportunity to really transform it into a number one sport".
- Vipshop (VIPS) Earns Media Impact Rating of 0.15
- Hardik Patel meets Mamata Banerjee, gets invite to join TMC in Gujarat
- Joaquin Phoenix to play Joker in Todd Phillips' standalone movie
- Franklin Street Advisors INC Holds Holding in Gilead Sciences INC Com (GILD)
- EPL: Arsenal, Tottenham Up For North London Derby
- What will happen to Elon Musk's Tesla Roadster in space?
- Guardiola comments on Gary Neville's failed management spell
- Cubs reportedly sign Darvish to a six-year deal
- North Korean athletes reportedly reject free Samsung phone
- Trump tells Israel it will have to make 'hard compromises for peace'