VLC 3.0 is available now, and it's going to be available on all major platforms at once with some big features in tow.
VLC explains in another post why Chromecast support took as long to arrive as it did, but it really comes down to the fact that Google's streaming platform is meant for just that, streaming.
VLC 3.0 also supports up to 8K 360-degree video formats, along with 3D audio to enhance the experience.
It's no wonder VLC 3.0 is an update geared towards the feature and created to offer the best value for their longtime users. VideoLAN said that VLC 3.0 also supports customizable HRTF (head related transfer function) to simulate spatial audio from standard 5.1 and 7.1 sources, such as Blu-Rays. Sources from a bluray can now be watched on your computers with full menu functionality. However, VLC does not support Blu-Ray decryption.
VLC 3.0 is the first synchronized release between the desktop app and the mobile ports, and moving forward, they will share the same version numbers.
With Chromecast support, users can stream media directly on a television. So VLC has to be a http server like youtube.com, and provide the video in a Chromecast compatible format.
VideoLAN's software is open-source. VideoLAN said it used Google's official closed-source SDK to build out the feature, which prevents it from releasing the source.
In addition to more than 1,500 bug fixes, VLC 3.0 brings many new features including hardware decoding and display on all platforms, HDR 10 support in DIrect3D 11 with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, and even Chromecast streaming. The Linux install isn't available on the website, but it is available upon request.
- Kingdom Hearts III trailer reveals Monsters Inc
- Pravin Togadia questions BJP over FIR against Major Aditya Kumar
- Philippe Coutinho scores first Barcelona goal with help of Luis Suarez assist
- Billionaire Elon Musk's SpaceX launches Falcon rocket in test debut in Florida
- David Moyes admits he understands why Evra kicked a fan at Marseille
- European Union negotiator warns agreement on Brexit transition may not happen
- How to Watch Fiorentina vs. Juventus
- TinyBuild Will Reveal Six New Switch Games Via Live Stream Tomorrow
- Trump signs bill ending government shutdown
- US House set for budget battle ahead of shutdown deadline