Calling the city "your wonderful capital", he added that the recognition of it as Israel's capital was very important for many people whom Trump said thanked him. "I understand why other presidents failed to keep this promise".
"Donald Trump's decision to recognize Jerusalem as the capital of Israel is a unsafe development that places the United States at a position of bias in favor of the occupation and the violation of worldwide law and resolutions", read the statement.
US President Donald Trump yesterday told Israel that it too would need to make "significant compromises" for peace with the Palestinians, even as they accused one of his Middle East envoys of bogging down diplomacy with what they see as pro-Israel bias.
"I have been thanked and in some cases not thanked, to be 100% honest about it". Trump said this in replying to Bismuth's question on whether Israel would have to give something in return for the declaration. "But it was a very important pledge that I made and I fulfilled my pledge".
President Donald Trump and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu meet at the Israel Museum in Jerusalem last May.
"I can understand why many other presidents bailed on their promise because tremendous pressure was put on them not to do it", he stated.
Trump abruptly reversed decades of USA policy in December when he recognized Jerusalem as Israel's capital, generating outrage from Palestinians and the Arab world and concern among Washington's Western allies. "Regarding specific borders, I will grant my support to what the two sides agree between themselves", he told the conservative Israel Hayom daily, in remarks published in Hebrew.
The full interview with be released by the Israeli newspaper on Sunday.
- Pence `Encouraged' by Talks With South Korea's Moon at Olympics
- Vipshop (VIPS) Earns Media Impact Rating of 0.15
- Senate reaches budget pact, adding $300 billion
- Congress passes spending bill, sends to Trump to end shutdown
- Duterte to personally plead for Kuwait OFWs
- Idris Elba proposes to girlfriend at movie screening
- NKorean leader offers to meet SKorean president
- Aid group warns of crisis in battered Syria rebel enclave
- Kim Jong Un invites South Korean President Moon to Pyongyang
- Kim Jong Un invites South Korean president for summit