Swiss International Air Lines (SWISS) has selected Pratt & Whitney Geared Turbofan (GTF) engines to power 15 total Airbus A320neo and A321neo aircraft.
A senior official of Indigo confirmed receiving the recommendations by Pratt & Whitney as well as EASA with respect to the A320neo aircrafts powered by PW1100G-JM engines.
Airlines with A320neos that have the affected engines will have to ground some of their planes, the Journal said.
As a result of the grounding, IndiGo said, some of its flights have been cancelled.
EASA's operational restrictions entail the grounding of aircraft with two affected engines pending repair/change out, the de-pairing of affected engines, and the discontinuation of Extended Range Twin-engine Operations (ETOPS) for aircraft fitted with affected engines.
A320neo operators with Pratt & Whitney engines have been plagued by reliability issues since they began flying passengers in 2016.
Noting that the issue is isolated to a limited sub population of engines, P&W said it has identified the potentially affected engines.
IndiGo, owned by InterGlobe Aviation Ltd, said that it is in contact with Pratt & Whitney to address the results of a recent finding. "But we feel it was the best decision in the interest of our safe and reliable operations", IndiGo said in a statement.
The agency pointed out that an investigation was under way to determine the exact source of the problem, while stressing that if the problem was not solved, "it could lead to the shutdown of both engines".
Budget airline GoAir said it has three of these engines installed in its aircraft.
Pratt & Whitney, the engine manufacturer, is investigating the root cause of this new finding with the full support of Airbus.
An industry source said 11 A320neos have been grounded to replace the engines. On certain days, the airline had seen as many as nine of its aircraft grounded due to unavailability of spare engines leading to flight disruptions.
- Nancy Pelosi and the Dreamers
- Paul George Praises OKC But Leaves Door Open for Departure
- #4 Duke Blue Devils vs. #19 North Carolina Tar Heels Wagering Odds
- Erdogan: Turkey has nothing to talk about with Bashar Assad
- Further losses predict on Wall Street
- Pelosi Marathon Speech on Immigration Breaks 1909 House Record
- Trump decides not to release the Schiff memo
- Missiles and smiles from North Korea on eve of Olympic Games
- Senate reaches budget pact, adding $300 billion
- What Led Up to Kim Cattrall's Instagram Calling Out SJP?