SpaceX Founder Elon Musk partied hearty at Fishlips Waterfront Bar & Grill at Port Canaveral in celebration of the historic launch of his Falcon Heavy Rocket on Tuesday afternoon from Kennedy Space Center's iconic Pad 39A.
Able to lift up to 63,800kg (140,700lb) to Low Earth Orbit, the Falcon Heavy is more than twice as capable as its nearest competitor, the Delta IV Heavy.
A red Tesla Roadster as a mock payload in the SpaceX Falcon Heavy rocket before the launch.
The SA-born entrepreneur successfully launched his new rocket called the Falcon Heavy from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida on Wednesday.
If you were to ask us prior to 6 February 2018 if an image of an automobile in space was real, we'd reply, with nearly no hesitation, that the photograph was likely a fake.
After liftoff, SpaceX attempted to land all three of Falcon Heavy's boosters back on Earth - two on land and one on the floating platform at sea.
The test payload for this demonstration mission is Musk's midnight cherry Tesla Roadster, which will be launched toward Mars. But the rocket carrying the vehicle seems to have overshot that trajectory and has put the Tesla in an orbit that extends out into the asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter.
The 230-foot spacecraft, dubbed the Falcon Heavy, roared into the earth's outer atmosphere at around 4 p.m. EST, with the aid of 27 engines reported to have the thrusting power of 18 Boeing 747 jumbo jets.
One year ago, SpaceX announced that it had signed a contract to send two paying passengers into orbit around the moon, something which hasn't been done since NASA's Apollo 17 mission in December 1972.
Musk, wearing a black t-shirt and jeans, exclaimed to the crowd, "we just launched the biggest rocket in the world!".
Things got even more weird as some suggested Musk was some kind of time traveller.
Musk said concrete or steel blocks would have been "extremely boring". On Tuesday night, Musk said he plans to debut the rocket in the 2020s, and will eventually create a B.F.R. designed for interplanetary travel. It was the first private company to put a payload into orbit in 2008, and has since launched satellites and brought unmanned spaceships with cargo to the International Space Station.
- Dananjaya, Herath spin Lanka to Test series win over B'desh
- Tensions over North Korean nuclear program simmer despite Olympics cooperation
- Matt and Becca Hamilton eliminated from mixed doubles curling
- Guardiola excludes Mahrez from his wishing list
- Pravin Togadia questions BJP over FIR against Major Aditya Kumar
- Syria wants UN to condemn US 'massacre'
- Elton John Reschedules Two Shows To Clear Calendar for Royal Wedding
- How to Watch Fiorentina vs. Juventus
- Trump signs bill ending government shutdown
- Again? Yup. What to know about the overnight budget shutdown