The bipartisan plan would raise defense and non-defense spending by $300bn and provide billions of additional dollars in disaster relief funding for areas ravaged by wildfires and hurricanes past year. Meadows says the senate budget deal is a Senator Schumer deal and "it's time Mitch McConnell goes to 51 votes in the Senate" and "the heck with allowing Chuck Schumer and a few of his colleagues to set the agenda".
"This spending bill is a debt junkie's dream".
"It's the wrong thing to do because it's not consistent with what we told the American people we were going to do, and what they elected us to do", said Rep. Jim Jordan, R-Ohio. This is a deal where we have a few democrats in the Senate dictate what this President and this Congress does. "But we want to get a deal". The Democrats also want to make the immigrants eligible for citizenship or permanent residence.
The spending bill passed by the House Tuesday would also fund the community health centers for two years.
Paul's call clearly angered Republican leaders - Sen.
Still, he appeared to offer a compromise in his State of the Union address when he extended "an open hand" to allow DACA immigrants to stay in the country.
The government shut down at midnight Thursday after Kentucky GOP Sen.
The McCain-Coons bill "stands between those two poles", Coons said.
In exchange, Trump wants $25 billion to build his beloved, proposed U.S. -Mexico border wall and other barriers.
At a late afternoon meeting, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi of California made it plain that she wasn't pressuring fellow Democrats to kill the bill, which is packed with money for party priorities like infrastructure, combating opioid abuse and help for college students.
The deal would pump $300 billion more into military and domestic programs. Their arguments that tax cuts will pay for themselves and that lawmakers should simply fill any gap with deep spending cuts are about equally preposterous.
Donald Lambro has been covering Washington politics for more than 50 years as a reporter, editor and commentator.
- Kim Jong Un invites South Korean president for summit
- Three Indigo-operated A320neo planes grounded after Airbus engine issue
- Trump, Modi express concern over Maldives
- Congress passes spending bill, sends to Trump to end shutdown
- Trump tells Israel it will have to make 'hard compromises for peace'
- Pence `Encouraged' by Talks With South Korea's Moon at Olympics
- Joaquin Phoenix to play Joker in Todd Phillips' standalone movie
- Isaiah Thomas Allegedly "Ecstatic" To Be A Laker
- Area snow emergencies declared beginning Thursday evening
- Heavy snow to blanket upper Midwest