Meanwhile, the legislation faces uncertainty in the House, where liberals, led by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, are protesting a lack of protections for illegal immigrants brought to the United States as children and the conservative House Freedom Caucus is lining up against provisions ending spending caps.
Should Paul stand his ground, Senate rules dictate that Majority Leader Mitch McConnell can declare a new session at midnight, then hold a procedural vote on the spending bill one hour into the new day.
"We have reached the budget deal that neither side loves but both sides can be proud of", he said.
Defense: Increase defense spending over current law by $80 billion in fiscal 2018 and $85 billion in fiscal 2019, pleasing defense hawks who have called for increased funding and stability in the military budget.
Earlier, Paul, a Republican, delayed the passage of the bill as he was unhappy with the huge increases in spending that the deal would entail.
The House is scheduled to vote late on Tuesday on Republicans' proposed stopgap spending bill to keep the government open until 23 March and provide full-year funding for the Defence department. "If we have to shut it down because the Democrats don't want safety. let's shut it down". "After months of fiscal brinkmanship, this budget deal is the first real sprout of bipartisanship and it should break the long cycle of spending crises that have snarled this Congress and hampered our middle class".
Schumer called the budget "An historic, bipartisan budget deal" that will increase federal investments in NY.
Senators were indicating Tuesday that they were close to a deal on spending. "I don't know when we would have another opportunity that matches today". There's also $6 billion to combat opioid abuse and improving mental health, and $2 billion for research at the National Institutes of Health. If changes are implemented, it will be sent back to the house with a deadline for Thursday to get a finished bill to President Trump for his signature.
McConnell said he would structure a fair debate and votes on the several bills being negotiated by different bipartisan and Republican groups.
- Aid group warns of crisis in battered Syria rebel enclave
- #4 Duke Blue Devils vs. #19 North Carolina Tar Heels Wagering Odds
- Kim Jong Un invites South Korean President Moon to Pyongyang
- Further losses predict on Wall Street
- Iranian athletes to receive Olympic mobile phones
- Erdogan: Turkey has nothing to talk about with Bashar Assad
- Nancy Pelosi and the Dreamers
- Paul George Praises OKC But Leaves Door Open for Departure
- Isaiah Thomas Allegedly "Ecstatic" To Be A Laker
- CIA Paid $100000 to Shadowy Russian Touting Trump Dirt and Stolen Cyberweapons