Toby Alderweireld has declared himself fit for Tottenham Hotspur's north London derby against Arsenal on Saturday (10 February) after completing his first full 90 minutes in over three months against Newport County in the FA Cup on Wednesday.
Given Aubameyang's debut delight, it would be a huge surprise if he doesn't retain his starting place for the north London derby against Spurs on Saturday, particularly as his main competitor for a starting place, the aforementioned Lacazette, has only one goal to show from his previous 10 Premier League appearances.
Alderweireld, who has faced Aubameyang three times in European competitions in recent seasons, said: "Everybody knows he is very quick and he is a good finisher".
Speaking at his news conference at London Colney on Thursday morning, Wenger said: "I think we are in the middle of the season, and they are top-quality players so why should they not repeat that type of performance?"
"You have to work your mind against him".
"And if you are a Spurs fan or you play for Spurs, you feel you have to win those games".
Alderweireld has only just recovered from a hamstring injury sustained during Spurs' victory over Real Madrid on November 1.
"Now it's up to the manager who he needs".
"He was suspended for two games before the break and one game after so he only played in the 2-2 against Werder Bremen".
"It was a hard period mentally but if you have a goal in your head, that's what you work towards every day", said Alderweireld.
"It was the longest ever [layoff of my career]". On the other hand, it was three months. I'm 28 and I'm lucky I've never had a knee injury or something, which would be a lot worse. It just takes time.
"We did the right things - don't start too early, train a lot of weeks so the muscle is ready to compete".
- Rodgers sinks birdie putt on 18th hole at Pebble Beach Pro
- Lakers acquire Isaiah Thomas from Cavs
- Arsenal boss says not surprised by Mkhitaryan's professionalism
- North Korea stages military parade on eve of Olympics
- Winter Games won't be Olympic in the absence of strongest athletes
- Sit Investment Associates Inc. Decreases Holdings in Philip Morris International Inc. (PM)
- NEET 2018 UG Notification Released
- Mitch McConnell says Senate leaders have reached a major budget deal
- South Korean firms hope North-South complex will reopen
- Renuka Chowdhury Moves Privilege Motion Against Kiren Rijiju For Posting 'Objectionable' Video