Taiwan has frequent earthquakes, a lot of them minor, but a 1999 quake killed more than 2,300 people and was Taiwan's worst recent natural disaster.
"We have to confirm that unfortunately she was not able to survive the strong quake in Hualien", he said, adding Philippine labor officials had already informed the next of kin.
The temblor, which affected the east coast of the island, killed at least 10 people and injured more than 270 others. "I'm still afraid because things kept on falling down".
The death toll has risen to 10, including three mainland Chinese tourists.
Japan's Foreign Ministry said nine Japanese were among the injured.
"Right now it is only confirmed earlier", she said in a telephone interview. A vehicle sat submerged in rubble as rescue workers combed through the ruins of a nearby building.
"#Taiwan is grateful to the many offers of assistance & support coming from around the world", President Tsai Ing-wen said in a tweet Thursday.
It cracked road pavement like thin ice and caved in the lobby of the four-star Marshal Hotel, according to the New Zealand Herald, trapping people inside.
When rescue workers reached the Canadian couple at about 3:29 p.m. Friday, the two bodies were found next to each other but the woman's was crushed under a pillar, one of the team members said.
Foxconn's Terry Gou has led a procession of corporate support as Taiwan sizes up the scale of damage following the deadly quake that struck its east coast earlier this week.
The natural disaster also caused 200 households to lose power and 35,000 households to lose their water supply, the local fire agency said.
A magnitude 7.6 quake in central Taiwan killed more than 2,300 people in 1999.
- Storm barrels through US Midwest with snow and frigid temperatures
- Dow rallies after biggest drop in history
- NBA Report: Derrick Rose Could Reunite With Former Teammates
- Renuka Chowdhury Moves Privilege Motion Against Kiren Rijiju For Posting 'Objectionable' Video
- PadMan movie review: A bittersweet tale of menstruation
- NEET 2018 UG Notification Released
- Mitch McConnell says Senate leaders have reached a major budget deal
- Three 'militants' killed in United States drone strike in North Waziristan
- Sit Investment Associates Inc. Decreases Holdings in Philip Morris International Inc. (PM)
- Fans flock to Philadelphia for Eagles Super Bowl parade