Shiffrin's US teammate Lindsey Vonn was supposed to be the one to watch at the Sochi Olympics but never got the chance to defend her downhill gold medal from Vancouver in 2010 after tearing knee ligaments.
Lindsey Vonn of the U.S. celebrates after winning the FIS Alpine Skiing World Cup in Germany.
Vonn won gold at the 2010 Games in Vancouver and has hit form at the ideal time ahead of the games in Pyeongchang.
Fingers crossed it actually takes off and she finally makes it to the Olympics. She also may have just won her 80th and 81st World Cup races in recent weeks. Vonn's first event is the Super G. That's not scheduled until February 17th. "Hopefully, I'll just be thinking about the task at hand".
Vonn won Olympic gold in the downhill and super-G bronze at the 2010 Games, but missed the 2014 Olympics through injury. It's really hard for me not to cry.
"But I've decided not to do the giant slalom because my knee's not in place to do that".
"I really hoped he'd have been alive to see me, but I know he's watching and I know he's going to help me, and I'm going to win for him". "I know it must have been a real learning experience". I wish you hadn't said it.
Away from the downhill, all eyes will be on Hirscher, a record six-time victor of the overall World Cup crystal globe who looks well set to extend that after notching up seven victories this season: three in the slalom and four in the giant slalom.
"I'm going to continue skiing until I get to 86".
"My entire summer has been focused on the Olympics".
- 'I had no idea my print was for Justin Timberlake'
- Energy Security, Infrastructural Investments Will Be Top Priority During PM Modi's Visit
- Viacom (VIAB) Trading 7.2% Higher on Earnings Beat
- North Korea stages military parade on eve of Olympics
- NEET 2018 UG Notification Released
- Dow rallies after biggest drop in history
- Arsenal boss says not surprised by Mkhitaryan's professionalism
- A chilly day, and breezy at times Thursday
- Mitch McConnell says Senate leaders have reached a major budget deal
- Human eggs fully grown in lab for first time ever