Indian Air Force Group Captain Arun Marwah facing espionage charges has been arrested and is undergoing questioning by the Special Cell of the Delhi Police, sources Friday said. Marwaha is charged under the Official Secrets Act and could be jailed for up to 7 years. The officer shared them regularly on WhatsApp in return for obscene photos, according to sources. "During the interrogation, he disclosed before officers of Air Force intelligence wing that he was in touch with two women, and had passed on classified information about three new formations - Defence Cyber Agency, Defence Space Agency and a Special Operations Division - to them".
"The Delhi Police will now carry forward the probe". Marwaha, 51, was allegedly using his smartphone to click pictures of classified documents pertaining to combat exercises at the IAF headquarters and then sending them across via WhatsApp. "We also found he shared documents of Gagan Shakti, an exercise", the officer added. The police are also investigating if he had any accomplices.
His arrest came after 10 days of IAF Intelligence Wing caught him red-handed with his cell phone when he entered the headquarters.
While the Delhi Police has now taken him into custody, the IAF officials are also probing if Marwaha could be a part of a larger espionage ring. Marwaha's phone has been seized and sent for forensic examination. At that time, it was said the officer was indulging in certain "unwanted activities" through unauthorised electronic devices which is against existing orders, the sources said.
- Tottenham defender Alderweireld: I'm ready to start Arsenal clash
- Honda launch offer for new Civic diesel
- Should You Buy Whiting Petroleum Corporation (WLL) or Bill Barrett Corporation (BBG)?
- Quentin Tarantino Apologizes for Controversial Rape Comments Regarding Roman Polanski
- NBA Report: Derrick Rose Could Reunite With Former Teammates
- Viacom (VIAB) Trading 7.2% Higher on Earnings Beat
- United Nations asked to allow sanctioned N. Korean to attend Olympics
- Storm barrels through US Midwest with snow and frigid temperatures
- Bank of England gearing up to increase interest rates
- Dow rallies after biggest drop in history