Indian Air Force Group Captain Arun Marwah facing espionage charges has been arrested and is undergoing questioning by the Special Cell of the Delhi Police, sources Friday said. Marwaha is charged under the Official Secrets Act and could be jailed for up to 7 years. The officer shared them regularly on WhatsApp in return for obscene photos, according to sources. "During the interrogation, he disclosed before officers of Air Force intelligence wing that he was in touch with two women, and had passed on classified information about three new formations - Defence Cyber Agency, Defence Space Agency and a Special Operations Division - to them".
"The Delhi Police will now carry forward the probe". Marwaha, 51, was allegedly using his smartphone to click pictures of classified documents pertaining to combat exercises at the IAF headquarters and then sending them across via WhatsApp. "We also found he shared documents of Gagan Shakti, an exercise", the officer added. The police are also investigating if he had any accomplices.
His arrest came after 10 days of IAF Intelligence Wing caught him red-handed with his cell phone when he entered the headquarters.
While the Delhi Police has now taken him into custody, the IAF officials are also probing if Marwaha could be a part of a larger espionage ring. Marwaha's phone has been seized and sent for forensic examination. At that time, it was said the officer was indulging in certain "unwanted activities" through unauthorised electronic devices which is against existing orders, the sources said.
- Tottenham defender Alderweireld: I'm ready to start Arsenal clash
- Marvel Cinematic Universe Stars Unite for One Epic Class Photo
- (VLO) Holdings Lifted by Coastline Trust Co
- Viacom (VIAB) Trading 7.2% Higher on Earnings Beat
- NBA Report: Derrick Rose Could Reunite With Former Teammates
- Should You Buy Whiting Petroleum Corporation (WLL) or Bill Barrett Corporation (BBG)?
- Futures Markets Predict More US Selling
- Taiwan quake : Aftershocks hamper rescue efforts
- Jennifer Garner Returns to TV on New Lena Dunham Comedy
- Lindsey Vonn Had a Rough Time Getting to the Winter Olympics