"Every year, since the beginning of the Gerber Baby Photo Search, we choose the baby who exemplifies Gerber's longstanding heritage of recognizing that every baby is a Gerber baby, and Lucas is a flawless fit", admitted for CNN one of the Gerber's representatives, Kristen Wooten.
Courtney Warren, Lucas' mom, said that's she happy that Lucas has this platform to spread joy.
- After a nationwide search, Gerber has found this year's Gerber Spokesbaby, 18-month-old Lucas Warren from Dalton, Ga.
The victor of Gerber's annual photo search, which began in 2010, was revealed on NBC's "Today Show" on Wednesday morning.
His parents posted a photo on Instagram with the contest's hashtag showing the baby smiling.
"He may have Down syndrome, but he's always Lucas first", said Cortney. His dad has been in the Georgia National Guard for six years helping fix helicopters, and his mom works part-time.
As the Grand Prize victor, Lucas's family will receive $50,000, and Lucas will be given the coveted title of 2018 Gerber Spokesbaby.
His parents hope that Lucas will help people realize that those with special needs are really no different from other children, and that they don't need to be defined by their disability. Lucas will also appear on the company's social media channels and in advertisements throughout the year.
Michele Blood is a Flemington, New Jersey-based freelance writer and regular contributor to LifeZette.
- North Korea to hold military parade ahead of Winter Olympics
- Havat Gilad attack ringleader killed by Israeli forces in W. Bank village
- Winter Games off and curling
- Sony Pictures Moves Forward With Sequel To JUMANJI: WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
- Salma Hayek 'Felt Ashamed' For Delaying Her Weinstein Story
- Ashley Graham and Her Mom Rock Swimsuits in Body-Positive Photo Campaign
- Global gold demand dipped 7% to 4072 tonnes in 2017: WGC
- The Internet Reacts To Joaquin Phoenix Possibly Playing The Joker
- President Trump speaks at 66th annual National Prayer Breakfast
- British extremists dubbed 'Beatles' captured on Iraq/Syria border, reports