Security forces are on a high alert in Jammu and Kashmir's on the death anniversaries of Parliament attack convict Afzal Guru on February 9 and Jammu Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) co-founder Maqbool Bhat on February 11.
Curfew like restrictions were imposed in Srinagar and other parts of Valley. Thousands of Indian troops were deployed on the streets.
In uptown areas, a complete shutdown was observed with all the shops, businesses and offices remaining closed.
The Supreme Court had declared at the time that the "collective conscience of the [Indian] society will be satisfied only if the death penalty is awarded to Afzal Guru". His family received a letter informing them of his imminent hanging two days after he was dead, but the letter, dated Feb 6, 2013, was mailed on Feb 8, a day before Guru's execution.
Guru was hanged in Delhi's Tihar Prison on February 9, 2013 at the age of 43 after an Indian court convicted him of involvement in a 2001 attack on the Indian Parliament in New Delhi.
Train services between North Kashmir's Baramulla and Jammu's Bannihal have also been suspended.
They stressed upon the justice-loving people and organisations of the world to help the families of Afzal Guru and Maqbool Butt to attain the mortal remains of their martyrs. A small sliver of Kashmir is also held by China.
The puppet authorities have put Hurriyat leaders including Syed Ali Gilani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, Muhammad Yasin Malik, Muhammad Ashraf Sehrai, Mukhtar Ahmed Waza, Ghulam Ahmed Gulzar, Bilal Siddiqi, Muhammad Ashraf Laya, Umar Aadil Dar and Syed Imtiaz Haider under house arrest or in detention to prevent them from participating in the programmes announced in connection with the martyrdom anniversaries of Muhammad Afzal Guru and Muhammad Maqbool Butt.
The securities across the city have been increased due to the fear of the terrorist attack or strike by Jaish-e-Muhammad, which is a Jihadist group and had carried many attacks in Jammu & Kashmir.
- New 3D vision discovered in praying mantis
- Royal Dutch Shell (LON:RDSA) Price Target Raised to GBX 2950
- Andhra Bank reports net loss of Rs 532 cr in Q3
- Senate Leaders Reach Budget Deal After Months of Government Shutdown Threats
- Supreme Court Releases Majority Opinion in Redistricting Case
- Tamo Racemo Electric Vehicle Showcased by Tata Motors at Auto Expo 2018
- Metroid Prime 4 Developer Is Bandai Namco Studios Singapore
- Palace dealt major Zaha injury blow
- Pres. Trump Signs Spending Bill, Ends Gov't Shutdown
- Olympic Committee rejects inclusion of Russian athletes