The result is that the 60th Annual Grammy Awards, which take place this Sunday at Madison Square Garden in NY, feature more diversity than ever before in the top categories (with Best New Artist rounding out the so-called big four). However, many Grammy artists will show ir awareness of gender equality and sexual harassment by carrying a white rose in support of time Up movement, which emerged in response to scandals that have shaken Hollywood.
"Hip-hop and black music in general has really had its finger on the pulse of the American temperament for the last few years", Ross Scarano, vice president of content at Billboard magazine, told Reuters. Kendrick Lamar's "Damn" was the front-runner for the top album prize with 1/1 odds while Mars's "24K Magic" was a relative underdog with second-place 5/2 odds. "I'm at the Grammys" Mars says while accepting the 24-karat, gold-plated trophy, his fourth win of the evening so far.
It was a moment of levity in a ceremony that covered several serious topics.
The performance blew both audience members and viewers away, with Run the Jewels' El-P tweeting: "Kendrick Lamar is a national treasure".
While he admitted to drinking and celebrating throughout the night, the "24K Magic" singer also wanted to share a story where he gave credit to the people who helped inspire such a special album.
In 2014, an Instagram post of white rapper Macklemore's text apologizing to Lamar for winning best rap album went viral.
In the former category, included on the telecast, her fellow nominees included Kelly Clarkson, Lady Gaga and Pink - all women who have sung about sexual assault or worked with Dr. Luke, the songwriter and producer accused by Kesha of abuse - as well as Ed Sheeran.
LuPone returned to her iconic performance from "Evita" with a symphony backing her on "Don't Cry For Me Argentina", proving she is among Broadway's greatest singers. Honestly, Cara should have been nominated a bit ago, considering her debut album came out in November 2015, but that's also given her plenty of time to worm her way into voters' ears.
They collaborated with Kendrick on XXX, and if there's a musician who is all about political activism it's Bono.
"I want to treat you like I want to be treated".
- Water crisis could lead to credit downgrade for Cape Town
- Moto X4 6GB RAM variant launched in India for Rs 24999
- Instagram Fitness Model Tweets Herself Getting Kicked Off American Airlines Flight
- Darkness extends Farmers Insurance playoff between Jason Day, Alex Noren
- Hope triple talaq Bill will be law soon, President tells Parliament
- Fans think Rihanna lip-synced her Grammys performance
- Volkswagen apologises for testing of diesel engine emissions on monkeys
- Top GOP leader rejects need for Congress to protect special counsel Mueller
- 'I would have been tougher than May'
- New York Attorney General to Investigate Firm That Sells Fake Followers