"I am honored to win an award, finally, and I wanted to thank everyone at Netflix, at 'Saturday Night Live, ' at 'The Chappelle Show, '" he said.
Alessia Cara was named best new artist. Presenters include Tony Bennett, Dave Chappelle, Kelly Clarkson, Victor Cruz, Eve, Jim Gaffigan, Katie Holmes, Nick Jonas, Anna Kendrick, Alicia Keys, John Legend, Shemar Moore, Trevor Noah, Sarah Silverman, Hailee Steinfeld and Donnie Wahlberg.
Jay-Z, who bared his soul on his 4:44 album, was not expected to perform on Sunday in a departure from Grammy tradition.
Kesha, a best pop vocal album nominee who has been battling her former record producer Dr. Luke for years in USA courts over allegations of emotional and sexual abuse, is expected to perform her emotional single Praying with Cyndi Lauper, Julia Michaels and a full choir.
Kendrick Lamar earned a standing ovation for his powerful opening performance.
However, many Grammy artists will show ir awareness of gender equality and sexual harassment by carrying a white rose in support of time Up movement, which emerged in response to scandals that have shaken Hollywood.
On Grammy Day, he was taken to task in a tweet by President Donald Trump, who is widely despised in the U.S. entertainment world, for comments he made in an interview to CNN.
The Grammy Awards have many roles to play in the cultural conversation.
"Other contenders for Album of the Year were "'Awaken, My Love!'", the psychedelic, R&B-infused album by Childish Gambino, the rap alter ego of actor and comedian Donald Glover, and "Melodrama" by 21-year-old New Zealand pop prodigy Lorde, the only woman in the category.
British singer-songwriter Ed Sheeran, who was snubbed in the top album, record and song of the year categories, won a pop vocal album Grammy for 2017's best-seller Divide but did not attend Sunday's ceremony. His "Chappelle's Show" was nominated for three Emmys in 2004 but won none.
- Trump Urges 'Decisive Action' against Taliban after Deadly Attack in Kabul
- Lady Gaga Sneaks 'Time's Up' Into Grammys Performance
- 60th GRAMMY Awards: Tony Bennett, Alicia Keys, John Legend To Present
- Patriots, Brady rule Super Bowl, but scores are awfully tight
- MRI machine sucks in patient's relative
- Allegations of 'Improper Conduct' Hit Rubio's Office
- Kendrick Lamar kicks off Grammys with powerful performance
- Afghan government asked to resign following deadly bombings
- Kesha Just Tore the House Down With "Praying" on the Grammys
- How to Watch Barcelona vs. Alaves