"Davis tonight introduced Oscar and Grammy victor Jennifer Hudson to sing a couple songs, and then told the audience that Hudson will be playing Aretha Franklin in an upcoming biopic about the life of the Queen of Soul", Mike Fleming Jr. wrote in a Deadline report. The studio has yet to tap a screenwriter and director for the movie, who will work closely with Franklin and producers Scott Bernstein ("Straight Outta Compton") and Harvey Mason, Jr.
Deadline reports that Davis, during his highly anticipated pre-Grammy party, introduced the singer/actress to sing a few songs, then revealed to the audience that she will be playing Aretha, who hand selected Hudson herself.
"At the party, Hudson showed her stuff by performing some of Franklin's best-known hits, including "Think", "Rock Steady", and "(You Make Me Feel Like a) Natural Woman".
Hudson's credits include "Sex and the City" "The Secret Life of Bees" and Spike Lee's "Chi-Raq".
Berry humbly refused the offer, saying she wouldn't be able to do Franklin justice in the singing department, according to Entertainment Weekly.
This wouldn't be Jennifer Hudson's first foray into acting obviously. "Someone should tell Aretha that I can't do her justice".
Franklin is one of the most respected figures in the music industry now, with a staggering 44 career Grammy nominations.
Back in 2014, Franklin spoke to Billboard on her thoughts about new artists who have taken up the mantle, mentioning Hudson along with other award-winning musicians. "But these young ladies, for the most part, are all very original".
- Water crisis could lead to credit downgrade for Cape Town
- Mars picks up 6 Grammys; Vegas victims remembered
- KPMG to be investigated over Carillion auditing
- Instagram Fitness Model Tweets Herself Getting Kicked Off American Airlines Flight
- Concussed Patriots TE Gronkowski misses Friday practice
- Lady Gaga Performs 'Joanne' and 'Million Reasons' at the 2018 Grammy Awards
- What's behind 3-year-low dollar index
- Militants attack army post near military academy in Afghan capital
- Snow expected for Tuesday-morning commute
- Comedian Kevin Hart to bring his 'Irresponsible Tour' to New Orleans, Biloxi