The award was received by Corporal Nirala's wife Sushmanand and his mother Malti Devi at the majestic Rajpath.
This is for the first time when an Indian Air Force soldier has been conferred Ashok Chakra.
Another army jawan from the Garhwal regiment is also likely to be awarded the second highest gallantry award, Kirti Chakra, for operations in Jammu and Kashmir in August past year.
A resident of Bihar's Rohtas district, Corporal Nirala had joined the Indian Air Force in 2005.
Nirala, a resident of Badladih area in Bihar's Rohtas district, was killed during an encounter with terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir's Bandipora in November a year ago.
The Chanderger operations, in which Nirala was martyred, marks as one of the most successful army action in the previous year as it claimed the lives of six terror suspects, including 26/11 Mumbai attack mastermind Zaki-ur-Rahman Lakhvi's nephew Owaid.
The corporal took a position close to the approach of the house to deny the terrorists any chance of escaping. "Laying the ambush at such close quarters demanded a very high degree of courage and professional acumen".
Nirala was part of an elite Garud squad that launched a counter-terror operation with a Rashtriya Rifles battalion in a Bandipora village on November 18, 2017. Jyoti Prakash Nirala, armed with light machine gun, laid down his life during the encounter while shooting dead three Lashkar-e-Taiba terrorists despite being shot by the bullets.
- Patriots DC Patricia bringing the beard back to Super Bowl
- Ford Buys Transport Services Startups Autonomic, TransLoc
- ASEAN Leaders Attend India's 69th Republic Day Celebration
- Deaths of wealthy Toronto couple ruled double homicide
- Penn State Knocks Off No. 13 Ohio State With Buzzer-Beater
- Hearthstone Just Announced Some Huge Changes to Ranked Mode
- Ex Chris Martin Is Brother-Like For Gwyneth Paltrow
- How to Watch the State of the Union
- Save the Children suspends operations in Afghanistan after deadly attack
- Teens charged with assault for exposing allergic classmate to pineapple