The Metropolitan Police said local hotels and businesses were evacuated as a precaution. They are from a hotel and a nightclub.
Firefighters have closed Charing Cross railway station in central London and evacuated the surrounding area after the discovery of a natural gas leak.
London Fire Brigade said a ruptured gas main was detected and roads in the area were sealed off and a 100-metre cordon put in place.
LONDON was crippled by travel chaos this morning after Charing Cross station closed amid a gas leak.
Scotland Yard said it is working with the fire service and partner agencies to deal with the leak.
"A cordon and road closures are in place as a precaution and members of the public/ motorists are advised to avoid the area at this time".
"We're doing everything possible to work around this and keep people moving, and will be running trains into other London stations, however there will be some unavoidable delays and cancellations this morning".
Transport for London tweeted that "A4 Strand/Northumberland St is closed" between Trafalgar Square and Bedford Street.
Residents who were evacuated were sent to a respite centre at Royal Horseguards Hotel in Whitehall Court, Westminster Council said.
Revellers at Heaven nightclub were forced to leave and guests at the hotel moved to emergency accommodation as fire services responded.
An Indian delegation which was in the United Kingdom for the Education World Forum 2018 was among hundreds evacuated from their hotel here after a gas leak early Tuesday. "Security being knocked aside", one wrote on Twitter.
Another, Chloe-Mai, said: "Lots of people trying to leave at the same time.as soon as the word evacuation was heard from security staff everyone was trying to get out as fast as possible".
"I'm frustrated to say the least", she said.
Another officer told a crowd of workers that it could be up to four hours before they will be allowed in.
"My colleagues led me to the back of the building".
- White House physician releases official report with details of presidents exam
- Alexis Sanchez says goodbye to Arsenal by following Manchester United on Instagram
- Gingrich on shutdown: Trump thinks he's successful
- Alia Bhatt in her traditional best at Kripa Mehta's wedding in Jodhpur
- Google launches new AI centre in France
- Welcome To New York trailer: Diljit Dosanjh-Sonakshi Sinha in quirky comedy
- Germany calls Turkey with concerns about escalation in Syria
- Couple plead not guilty to torture of children
- Pogba demands Man Utd doubles salary after Alexis deal
- US Congress clinches deal on spending, immigration to end shutdown