Saturday, 23 February 2019
Latest news
Main » People Evacuated, Stations Closed after Gas Leak in Central London

People Evacuated, Stations Closed after Gas Leak in Central London

23 January 2018

A Network Rail spokeswoman said: "Charing Cross station is now closed owing to a gas leak in a nearby road".

The Metropolitan Police said local hotels and businesses were evacuated as a precaution. They are from a hotel and a nightclub.

Firefighters have closed Charing Cross railway station in central London and evacuated the surrounding area after the discovery of a natural gas leak.

London Fire Brigade said a ruptured gas main was detected and roads in the area were sealed off and a 100-metre cordon put in place.

LONDON was crippled by travel chaos this morning after Charing Cross station closed amid a gas leak.

Scotland Yard said it is working with the fire service and partner agencies to deal with the leak.

"A cordon and road closures are in place as a precaution and members of the public/ motorists are advised to avoid the area at this time".

"We're doing everything possible to work around this and keep people moving, and will be running trains into other London stations, however there will be some unavoidable delays and cancellations this morning".

Transport for London tweeted that "A4 Strand/Northumberland St is closed" between Trafalgar Square and Bedford Street.

Residents who were evacuated were sent to a respite centre at Royal Horseguards Hotel in Whitehall Court, Westminster Council said.

Revellers at Heaven nightclub were forced to leave and guests at the hotel moved to emergency accommodation as fire services responded.

An Indian delegation which was in the United Kingdom for the Education World Forum 2018 was among hundreds evacuated from their hotel here after a gas leak early Tuesday. "Security being knocked aside", one wrote on Twitter.

Another, Chloe-Mai, said: "Lots of people trying to leave at the same soon as the word evacuation was heard from security staff everyone was trying to get out as fast as possible".

"I'm frustrated to say the least", she said.

Another officer told a crowd of workers that it could be up to four hours before they will be allowed in.

"My colleagues led me to the back of the building".

People Evacuated, Stations Closed after Gas Leak in Central London