A group of people gathered at a Barrie Tim Hortons to show disapproval over reports that the restaurant chain has been reducing employee benefits to mitigate the minimum-wage increase.
It's being called a national day of action by more than 50 groups across Canada that spent their mornings rallying with signs outside Tim Hortons locations, including in Surrey, Vancouver and Maple Ridge.
Grey Bruce Labour Council President, Kevin Smith, points to jurisdictions such as Alberta where increases to the minimum wage he says have demonstrated they are good for all facets of the economy.
Friday's rally aims to support workers at Tim Hortons as well as other Nova Scotians earning low wages. The changes were in response to the province increasing its minimum wage to $14 an hour.
The Surrey event started at 7 a.m.at the Tim Hortons at 9595 King George Blvd.
RBI has denounced the actions of some franchisees, who have said they have been left with no choice because the parent company, which controls product pricing, has not committed to a price hike.
Some Ontario Tim Hortons franchisees eliminated paid breaks, fully-covered health and dental plans, and other perks for their workers, changes that came to light after a letter from the owners of two Cobourg, Ont., franchisees circulated on social media. "I'm happy to talk to any business owner about the minimum wage but taking it out on employees is not fair and not acceptable".
BCFED has been campaigning to boost B.C.'s minimum wage for years, suggesting that the boost could lift 500,00 workers above the poverty line.
"That's what we believe to be the case", she said.
"It's [minimum wage] so far behind the cost of living", Fofonoff said.
"It's shameful that Tim Hortons has done nothing to stop the attacks on the workers that have made the company billions of dollars".
The Tim Hortons International refused any part in the statement, making it clear that every franchise was responsible for its own activity and does not speak for the brand's principles.
- Vertex One Asset Management INC Increased Its Time Warner INC (TWX) Position
- Lindsey Graham: Trump staff 'irrational' about immigration
- Automatic Data Processing (NASDAQ:ADP) VP Donald Weinstein Sells 2275 Shares
- Johnson Controls International plc (NYSE:JCI)
- Want to eliminate Real Madrid: Neymar
- Watch American Airlines passengers brace for emergency landing
- Burnley agree fee to sign Aaron Lennon from Everton
- Supreme Court will hear arguments for Trump travel ban in April
- Cassidy: Democrats putting DACA over children's health insurance
- Parents accused of holding 13 children captive charged with torture, child abuse