The Justice Department intends to retry New Jersey Sen.
Mr. Menendez was accused of doing favors for a close friend, Dr. Salomon Melgen, a wealthy eye doctor from Florida, in exchange for gifts, including rides on his private plane, and political donations.
Sen. Bob Menendez, center, arrives with his children, Alicia Menendez and Robert Menendez Jr., to court for his federal corruption trial in Newark, N.J., Wednesday, Sept. 6, 2017. Melgen was under federal scrutiny over a medical billing dispute, and Menendez arranged meetings with government officials in order to help his pal. After 11 weeks, the case ended in a mistrial.
Menendez, a Democrat, denied accepting bribes from Melgen.
Mr. Menendez is up for re-election in 2018, and while he has not officially announced that is running, he has given no indication that he intends to retire and following the trial a year ago he locked up every key endorsement in New Jersey.
The defense argued that the gifts came out of 20 years of friendship and that Menendez's staff mistakenly believed they were exempt from disclosure requirements.
After more than a week of deliberations, jurors sent a note to U.S. District Judge William Walls notifying him that they were unable to reach a unanimous decision.
A trial last fall resulted in a hung jury.
After an eight-week trial, however, jurors declared themselves hopelessly deadlocked. "An early retrial date is in the best interests of the public, and the United States is available to schedule a retrial at the Court's earliest convenience".
- Choosing Between Hot Stocks: The Southern Company (SO), DENTSPLY SIRONA Inc. (XRAY)
- Burnley agree fee to sign Aaron Lennon from Everton
- Parents accused of holding 13 children captive charged with torture, child abuse
- Wozniacki Battles Past Stubborn Bertens
- Govt's focus will remain on development: PM Modi
- Johnson Controls International plc (NYSE:JCI)
- Watch American Airlines passengers brace for emergency landing
- Automatic Data Processing (NASDAQ:ADP) VP Donald Weinstein Sells 2275 Shares
- Investor's Watch: Nordic American Tanker Shipping Ltd (NAT)
- Chevron Corporation (CVX) : Looking for stock with Analysts Rating?