Mathews suffered the injury during Sri Lanka's match against Zimbabwe on Wednesday (17), where the game was won by the African nation by 12 runs.
The closeness of the match - Thisara Perera's late-innings blitzkrieg of 64 off 37 balls nearly clinched it for Sri Lanka - also bodes well for the triangular tournament after a seemingly underprepared Zimbabwe crashed to a one-sided eight-wicket defeat to Bangladesh in the first match on Monday.
The BCB deemed it fit not to include Bangladesh on the momentous occasion of Mirpur becoming the fastest venue to the mark, but it was fitting that Zimbabwe - who played the first match in this venue against Bangladesh on December 8, 2006 - issued a reminder of their prowess through a team effort with Sikandar Raza putting in a star turn with an unbeaten 67-ball 81, a wicket and two crucial catches.
After a disastrous showing against Bangladesh, Zimbabwe's batsmen got the pitch to their liking with Masakadza leading the way. The last time that it was played was way back in 1998 when Sri Lanka had hosted India and New Zealand for a tri-series which was played in the 50-over format and in which there were three round-robin matches.
Tendai Chatara did the damage with the ball for Zimbabwe, claiming a career-best 4-33. Kusal Mendis also fell quickly for a duck to Tendai Chatara, with Sri Lanka's score 47 for two in 6.5 overs.
In the eighth over, Zimbabwe went for a review against Angelo Mathews (42) but it went in vain as the ball was missing the stumps.
T Perera then resisted. Raza gave the crucial breakthrough by removing a well-set Perera for 80 and then Blessing Muzarabani scalped the unsafe Mathews for 42, to give Zimbabwe hope.
Raza, who hit eight fours and a six during his innings, also took one wicket after opening the attack with his off-spin bowling for Zimbabwe.
In a bid to re-build the Sri Lankan team ahead of the 2019 World Cup in England, the islanders have appointed former opener Chandika Hathurusingha as head coach.
Opener Hamilton Masakadza scored 73 off 83, hitting 10 fours.
- Instagram 'Type' Format Will Help You Jazz Up Stories
- Sheriff's deputy fatally shoots 16-year-old in OH courtroom
- Inter Milan eyeing move for out-of-favour Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge
- Australian Open: Halep sweeps past Bouchard
- Bannon does a deal with special counsel Mueller
- United States marshal dies, officer wounded in Harrisburg, report says
- Subpoenaed Trump Strategist Refuses To Talk To Lawmakers In Russia Probe
- House GOP appears to have deal to avoid shutdown
- Donald Trump's physician says he's "very healthy" but could lose 10-15lbs
- Police nab 2 men in Times Square hit-and-run of officer