- Two men have been arrested in connection with hitting a police officer in Times Square.
Police say they arrested Arfhy Santos, 20, and William Lopez, 24. He was treated and released from the hospital with minor bumps and bruises. Police said the men have criminal histories, and that Lopez drove the same vehicle onto an Upper Manhattan sidewalk last Friday around 2 a.m. It wasn't clear if the two had lawyers who could comment.
Police are still searching for the Mercedes-Benz used during the incident.
Arfhy Santos, 20, and William Lopez, 24, are sought for questioning after an officer was dragged by a vehicle in Times Square on January 13, 2017. They were in an apartment and tried to escape out a window, according to police. "And then from 42nd Street it heads toward the West Side", Chief of Manhattan Detectives William Aubry said during a press conference Wednesday night. Authorities are looking for at least one more person.
Aubry said the officer involved has not returned to work yet, but is doing OK.
The man who filmed the now-viral video of the incident blamed the officer for the whole thing on Monday - and actually defended the reckless driver. "I was right there", photographer Kiefer Dixon explained on Instagram Live, insisting that he didn't know the suspects.
"I've seen police come up to cars before - they come up nice and slow pace, not charging at them", Dixon said. "They give the cars a ticket or tell them to relax".
After clipping the cop, the driver sped off, turning onto 42nd Street.
Aubry, on the other-hand, thinks what Wallace did was nothing short of heroic. He called him a "brave officer" whose "instincts took over". Police say the driver intentionally struck the police officer while trying to escape.
- What about the memory test Trump aced? It's not for everyone
- Australian Open 2018: Djokovic Beats Monfils In 'Brutal' Melbourne Heat
- British Royal Navy escorted Russian warship near United Kingdom waters
- Alberto Fujimori Speaks From Hospital After Pardon
- Jaguars clinch division title despite disappointing loss to surging 49ers
- Bordeaux president provides big update on Arsenal's £40m deal for Malcom
- Peru's Fujimori Asks for Forgiveness
- Josh Hazlewood ruled out of Gabba ODI due to viral infection
- Kamal Haasan to annnounce name of his political party on Feb 21
- Octavia Spencer, Jessica Chastain Reuniting For Holiday Buddy Comedy