In Mississippi, the department of transportation reported ice on the roads in every county in the state.
At 2 p.m., officials from DeKalb County School District tweeted the following: "All after-school activities and athletics are canceled today".
The snow could begin before sunrise in northwest Alabama and spread to the south and east during the day on Tuesday, coming to an end Wednesday morning.
Cold air and winds will have combined to drop wind chill values to unsafe levels.
The high snowfall projection for Wednesday, Jan. 17, calls for as many as seven inches of snow in the Danbury area. Forecasters warned mariners along the Texas coast to be on guard for gale-force winds.
The brutal cold shut down interstates, triggered highway crashes and closed airport runways. Thursday: Temps finally get above freezing and stay there.
Kula said if the snowfall is less than half an inch, roads should begin to clear on Wednesday.
"You want to just barely touch the brakes in that situation", he said.
Any precipitation that does not melt away before temperatures decrease Wednesday evening will refreeze and could cause some slippery road conditions during the morning commute on Thursday.
"There is a chance for light snow or some flurries", Jeanie McDermott, a meteorologist with NWS in Tallahassee, said late Monday. Some of the heaviest snow in MS was expected in the state's Delta region, where up to 3 inches (7.6 centimeters) was possible.
Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal likewise issued a state of emergency for 83 counties, spanning much of central and north parts of the state.
The storm isn't expected to be as severe as early January's 'bomb cyclone, ' which blanketed parts of the coastal South more snow than the region had seen in decades, according to the Associated Press. Teachers and students camped out in schools.
Meanwhile, the system hit Shreveport Tuesday morning and has dropped 2 inches of snow already, according to The Weather Channel.
Areas to the west, including Worcester, are still in the warning zone and should expect upward of six inches of snow. "Make sure you have everything you need, such as necessary medication, in case roads do become treacherous", CCEMA Director Renee Cornelison said in an evening update.
- Couple held 13 siblings captive in house
- Overwatch's Blizzard World Map Has Its Grand Opening on January 23
- Urgent action needed on clean cars and energy-saving homes, climate advisers say
- High school wrestler paralyzed from neck down during match
- Henry Schein, Inc. (HSIC) Holdings Trimmed by Exxonmobil Investment Management Inc. TX
- 76ers guard sidelined with cracked bone in left leg
- Agf Investments INC Lowered Position in Nvidia Corp. (NVDA) as Valuation Rose
- Steel composites make Ram 1500 lighter, stronger
- 'Indefensible': Haitian-American Rep. on Trump's Remarks
- Stifel Nicolaus Boosts Harley-Davidson (HOG) Price Target to $54.00