Two vehicles were involved in the crash.
Vanpelt died at the scene while his passenger, 43-year-old Ronald Higgins of Dade City, was taken to Osceola Regional Medical Center in critical condition, according to a crash report.
The Highway Patrol also reported a second, separate accident on I-95 northbound at Florida 206, just south of the fatal crash scene. The report says his vehicle continued onto the east shoulder of the roadway before striking a tree and rolling several times.
All three northbound lanes remain blocked until about 1 p.m. Drivers were encouraged to use US 1 as an alternate route and allow extra time.
Congestion was compounded later in the morning when a second crash, at the State Road 206 interchange, required all northbound lanes to be shutdown almost 10 miles south of the first wreck.
All southbound lanes were temporarily shut down during the investigation.
- United States could 'conceivably' re-join Paris climate agreement, Trump says
- Has $1110599000 Position in Fidelity National Information Services, Inc. (FIS)
- Yerry Mina: Joining Barcelona means indescribable pride
- Iran vows retaliation over USA sanctions
- Trump Says 'Probably' Has a Good Relationship With North Korea's Kim
- Russia: Israeli settlements reduce chances for peace
- Hilton Capital Management LLC Boosts Position in Costco Wholesale Co. (COST)
- Polen Capital Management Upped Its Celgene (CELG) Stake; Synnex Has 1.08 Sentiment
- Cold wave intensifies in North India, Leh records -15 deg Celsius
- Stock Bulletin: Scorpio Tankers Inc (STNG)