Two vehicles were involved in the crash.
Vanpelt died at the scene while his passenger, 43-year-old Ronald Higgins of Dade City, was taken to Osceola Regional Medical Center in critical condition, according to a crash report.
The Highway Patrol also reported a second, separate accident on I-95 northbound at Florida 206, just south of the fatal crash scene. The report says his vehicle continued onto the east shoulder of the roadway before striking a tree and rolling several times.
All three northbound lanes remain blocked until about 1 p.m. Drivers were encouraged to use US 1 as an alternate route and allow extra time.
Congestion was compounded later in the morning when a second crash, at the State Road 206 interchange, required all northbound lanes to be shutdown almost 10 miles south of the first wreck.
All southbound lanes were temporarily shut down during the investigation.
- African Union, African UN envoys demand Trump apology
- Saybrook Capital NC Holds Stake in Pfizer, Inc. (PFE)
- Rescuers Seek Survivors after California Mudslides Kill 17
- Cold wave intensifies in North India, Leh records -15 deg Celsius
- Hitmen kidnap, torture, and murder wrong person
- Russia: Israeli settlements reduce chances for peace
- Marsh & Mclennan Companies Inc (NYSE:MMC) Sentiment Report
- Trump Says 'Probably' Has a Good Relationship With North Korea's Kim
- Walgreens Boots Alliance Posts 8% Sales Increase In Q1
- Centurion Test: Proteas suffer mini collapse after solid start