Mourinho's United are understood to have thrown their hat into the ring, bidding around 25 million to trump City's 20 million offer as they seek to bolster their forward options and deny their bitter rivals.
Manchester United would be making an "unbelievable" signing comparable to their swoop for Eric Cantona if they landed Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal, according to Phil Neville. Mourinho has now replied to Conte's insult by saying he no longer feels the need to insult Conte, because he knows he has hurt him, and now merely feels contempt. "So they want a combination of the two, which big clubs can give them".
"At this stage, I don't think it's about the market", said Mourinho, whose United hosts Stoke City on Monday.
"Mourinho, who said he was unlikely to buy anyone in January, recently bemoaned his club's inability to invest up to "£70 million" in new players, claiming Premier League leaders City have the advantage of unlimited spending power.
He added: "Sanchez is an exceptional football player, a world-class player and, if that happens [he is sold], we have to find a different balance in the team".
Arsenal have been in the transfer window news off late as the saga concerning Alexis Sanchez has been doing the rounds besides several other players linked in and out of the club. Arsenal are ready to sell this month, but they will not go below £30million, whilst City won't go over £20million.
"I want to be focused on what we have to do on the field".
On Ozil, who wore a snood during Friday's training session, Wenger said: "We are still talking and there is still an opportunity for him to stay". Sanchez would become a much more important player at Old Trafford than at the Etihad Stadium, while the determination to get him in January would also surely count for something.
- Calm start to the weekend, but snow returns late Sunday
- Trump Tweets 'Such Respect' for Iranian People, Pledges US Support
- Hamas member injured in Lebanon bomb blast
- Norway's PM Makes Business Case of 'Green Economy' to Trump
- Google Doodle Celebrates 92nd Birthday of Writer-Activist Mahasweta Devi
- Raptors embarrass Cavs with 34-point drubbing
- Sub-zero wind chills forecast Sunday, Monday; snow possible Tuesday
- China speaks for Iran nuclear deal, against United States unilateral sanctions
- Plane dangles off cliff after skidding off runway in Turkey
- Is China halting US Treasury purchases?