Officials said a search revealed an open area of water nearly four metres in diameter where they believed the man fell through.
The U.S. Coast Guard has rescued five fisherman who were stranded Friday evening on icy waters near Monroe County, officials reported.
Neither the man or the vehicle have been recovered.
Shortly after 6 p.m. on Thursday the Coast Guard was ed requesting assistance in the search and rescue of a man on the ice in Mitchell's Bay. Officials say they got his position via cell phone ping and the OPP, Chatham-Kent police, and the Chatham-Kent Fire Department responded by land.
The Coast Guard crew said they had poor visibility, so bad they had to use night vision goggles and could barely see the light from his cell phone.
He was said to be hypothermic. The recent warm weather has caused ice to melt, brought in heavy fog and caused multiple ice rescue cases with one life lost in just the past week.
The helicopter took him to waiting EMS who took him to the hospital and U.S. Customs and Border Protection coordinated his return to Canada. Anyone considering going on the ice is encouraged to check the weather before heading out, bring signaling and communication equipment - including a flashlight, flares, VHF radio and a personal locator beacon.
- Sterling Capital Management LLC Has $592000 Holdings in BB&T Co. (BBT)
- Saturday Night Live Reveals Bill Murray as Their Steve Bannon
- Israeli Army Conducts Airstrike Targeting Southern Gaza Strip
- Three girls dead in Rajkot fire
- Brightline kills woman during VIP ride
- Forecasts project record corn yields for U.S. farmers
- Costco Wholesale Corporation (COST) Stake Cut by First Dallas Securities Inc
- Amphenol Corporation (APH) Receives $87.90 Consensus Target Price from Analysts
- Pair of Clemson DL will return to Tigers for 2018
- Troye Sivan Gets Even Wilder In New Video For "My My My!"