Cuomo on January 10 announced the launch of a new State Police Unmanned Aerial System program, saying it will be used to support law enforcement missions that include disaster response and traffic safety.
ALBANY, NY- Local state troopers will be among the first in New York State to start using drones to enhance their work protecting the public, including traffic safety and disaster response.
When they're ready, they will pilot the drones on law-enforcement and public-safety missions that reduce official response times and provide a host of other advantages - more quickly recreating serious accidents to minimize road closures, for instance.
By April 2018, there will be 14 more drones deployed throughout the state.
In addition, the pilotless aircraft can also be used in risky situations and environments, including natural disasters, keeping law enforcement personnel out of harm's way, according to the announcement.
The drones are meant to give the State Police more flexibility and efficiency, reducing response times and making operations safer, more efficient and cost-effective.
The aerial drones can also be used in risky situations and environments, including natural disasters, keeping State Troopers out of harm's way.
The Governor's Office announced Wednesday that 18 new unmanned aircrafts will be deployed for use by Troop A in Western New York, including Genesee, Orleans, Wyoming and other counties in the Buffalo area.
The troopers who operate the drones will have to be certified by the Federal Aviation Administration, plus they will undergo 32 hours of hands-on training. The state Department of Environmental Conservation has a 22-drone fleet that they use for a variety of purposes, including evaluating eroded coastline on Lake Ontario past year.
"Video recording an interrogation protects the both the innocent and law enforcement alike", Cuomo says.
- Chelsea held to draw by 10-man Leicester
- Everton boss Sam Allardyce 'shocked' by Spurs thrashing
- Anchor Capital Advisors LLC Maintains Position in Chevron Corporation (CVX)
- Oregon State women end Arizona State's win streak
- Dark Souls Remastered is on its way - PC, PS4, Xbox, Switch
- Mourinho explains how getting Alexis Sanchez will change his summer plans
- Tide Point Capital Management LP Lifted Sociedad Quimica Minera De C (SQM) Stake; United Technologies (UTX
- Seal clarifies position on Oprah Winfrey social media post
- Chandigarh stalking case: Vikas Baral gets bail, Varnika still hopeful
- Trump's plan to deport those who entered United States illegally as kids blocked