Sinha described the press conference of the four senior-most judges of the Supreme Court as "absolutely unprecedented" and that the most important take away when the national interest is at stake ordinary rules of business do not apply.
Sinha called the contents of the four judges' letter to the CJI a matter of "grave" concern.
But Patra, slamming the Congress, said that Indian democracy "has shown the mirror" to the party, and termed its attempt "to fish (for) an opportunity where none existed politically" wrong. "If Parliament is compromised, the Supreme Court is not in order, then democracy is threatened", he told reporters. Referring to the winter session and the first leg of the budget session of Parliament to be held from January 29 to February 9, Sinha said he had never heard of such short sessions and this was also a threat to democracy. BJP has in the past attributed Sinha's scathing criticism of the government to his being sidelined in the party with finance minister Arun Jaitley once dubbing him as a "job applicant at 80". "I will appeal to them to get rid of their fears and speak up", he said. "This is grave. It means you will appoint judges on cases where you want a favourable order", added Sinha.
Notably, the topmost priority complaint in the list of accusations made by the four SC judges pertained to the death of Justice Loya, who died when he was hearing the Sohrabuddin Sheikh alleged fake encounter case of 2005. "I had tweeted on the entire matter yesterday", he said. "Hope we get at the truth of Judge Loya's death", Sinha had tweeted Friday.
Sinha explained the seriousness of the issues raised by the judges and said the allegation that sensitive cases were being assigned by the Chief Justice to particular benches was a "very serious" charge.
"It is the duty of political parties of the country and of anyone who is concerned to take note of such an event". And obviously, they should then express an opinion on it.
- Mourinho feels 'contempt' for Conte
- Trump says USA could stay in Paris deal
- Maharashtra: Four Wrestlers of Kranti Kushti Sankul Killed in Road Accident
- African Union demands apology from Trump over racist comment
- New England Patriots: 5 players to watch for vs Tennessee Titans
- Florida officer wrestles with 3.81-metre python
- Conte: There was no transfer talk when I spoke to Sanchez
- London store Harrods to remove Diana statue
- Trump extends Iran sanctions relief; oil trades near session highs
- BerganKDV Wealth Management LLC Has $1.65 Million Stake in Microsoft Co. (MSFT)