The other 5 people were injured in the accident and were taken to the hospital immediately. All of them were parts of Kranti Kushti Sankul institution, Maharashtra.
Of Six, police identified five deceased wrestlers as Shubham Ankush Ghadge (23), Saholi, Kadegaon tehsil; Saurabh Anil Mane (20) Malkhe in Karad tehsil; Avinash Sarjerao Gaikwad (21), Khupire, Shirala tehsil of this district; Akash Dadaso Desai (23) Kale in Karad tehsil; and Vijay Patil (23).
Reportedly, the accident took place around 1 AM on Friday late night. They were returning from Satara after attending a wrestling contest.
The other person who was killed was the SUV driver Ranjeet Dhanawade.
All these wrestlers had gone to Aundh in Satara to participate at a wrestling competition. They were on their way towards Kundal in Sangli district, a senior police official said.
A tractor approaching at high-speed rammed into their SUV from the opposite direction, which led to the deaths. "Due to the sugarcane crops, the driver could not see tractor coming onto the road and it hit the front side of the tractor after which the vehicle toppled", the police officer said. While four powerlifters died on the spot, Yadav had been admitted to the hospital with serious injuries, but he succumbed later that day.
A case under relevant sections of the Indian Penal Code and the Motor Vehicles Act has been registered at the Chinchni-Vangi police station, he said.
According to the police, the tractor driver fled away from the spot after the mishap and now police are searching him.
- Lithia Motors Inc (LAD) Director Sells $620000.00 in Stock
- Two Sigma Advisers LP Sells 172963 Shares of Amgen Inc. (AMGN)
- Santa Delivered Many Smart Speakers In 2017
- No. 8 Tech upsets No. 2 West Virginia in comeback win
- Habs' Danault stretchered off after shot to head
- Stock Traders Buy Large Volume of AvalonBay Communities Call Options (NYSE:AVB)
- Woman Arrested For Husband's Murder After 'How To Kill Someone' Search
- Ten-man Leicester hold lacklustre Chelsea
- 'People were very concerned' - warning of ballistic missile mistakenly sent in Hawaii
- Iran threatens to retaliate against new USA sanctions