Tottenham Hotspur manager Mauricio Pochettino believes the Premier League single-season scoring record of 34 goals is under threat from Harry Kane after the striker grabbed two more in a 4-0 victory over Everton at Wembley.
With his brace in the second half against Everton on Saturday, Kane took his tally to 98 goals and broke the record. VAR would have proved it too.
Subs used: Wanyama (5), Sissoko (n/a), Lamela (n/a). The manager selected an offensive looking starting eleven of: Pickford, Martina, Jagielka (c), Holgate, Kenny, McCarthy, Gueye, Bolasie, Rooney, Sigurdsson and Cenk Tosun wearing the number 14 shirt.
Taking only 2 points from their last five games, Big Sam has not yet addressed what would appear to be the most damning indictment of Everton's form this season.
Jagielka was somewhat harshly yellow-carded for a challenge on Alli as the first half went into one added minute and the teams went to the locker room with Spurs in front, with the Blues sadly having failed to have had an attempt on target.
Son was not to be denied four minutes later when the South Korean was on hand to turn home Serge Aurier's cross.
Kane said he was proud of the record but would not dwell on it for long.
Kane bagged his second and Spurs' third just before the hour mark by turning home Eric Dier's cross in the box.
Watford came back from two goals down to register a 2-2 draw with Southampton at Vicarage Road.
- Harry Kane became only the third player to score at least 20 goals in four consecutive Premier League campaigns, after Thierry Henry (5) and Alan Shearer (4).
"The good thing is Jimmy Greaves' (all-time club record) is far away, so not every week he is going to break something".
Mauricio Pochettino: "He [Harry Kane] can do everything because of his mentality and how he is as a professional. He can achieve all he wishes and he wants", Pochettino told reporters.
The Turkey global striker signed for the Merseysiders for £27million from Besiktas on Friday after scoring an impressive 14 goals in just 24 games in all competitions this term. He said felt they could go attacking but he should have "gone back to being a bit more boring".
"He's one of the best strikers in the world. It was massively worrying in terms of how can a performance become so bad in such a short period of time".
Son was involved in Spur's fourth goal in the 81st. Allardyce felt Kane's opening goal could also have been ruled out.
In a unusual game that ebbed and flowed, Wayne Rooney had the first chance after a quiet opening, with the striker latching onto a long kick from Jordan Pickford and dragging a left-footed shot wide of the right post from inside the area on 16 minutes.
- Credit Acceptance Corp. (NASDAQ:CACC) Major Shareholder Sells $10541992.78 in Stock
- Dark Souls Remastered is on its way - PC, PS4, Xbox, Switch
- Columbia Asset Management Maintains Stake in Alexion Pharmaceuticals, Inc. (ALXN)
- Vatican newspaper calls Trump's "shithole" comment offensive
- Magic Johnson tweets support for Luke Walton after team's fourth straight win
- White House doc: Trump in 'excellent health'
- Hamas member injured in Lebanon bomb blast
- Will there be another mudslide in Montecito?
- Minnesota's Smith to join Senate after Franken's resignation
- Comic actress who blundered to success dies at 80