While graduation rates fell across the board statewide, the decline was particularly pronounced among English language learners (ELL), who saw a 15-percent decrease in graduation rates.
Lewis Cass High School had the highest graduation rate among the four Cass County school corporations at 93.9 percent. The non-waiver graduation rate counts only the students who completed all graduation requirements.
Fort Wayne and Allen County schools did well on 2017 graduation rates released Friday by the Indiana Department of Education.
Bonnell said the 2017 graduation rate may increase as he has to contact IDOE officials to fix some data issues that should've been resolved in an earlier appeals process.
"We are pleased to see that our graduation rate is again above the state average", said Fort Wayne Community Schools spokeswoman Krista Stockman. Indiana's overall graduation rate saw a 2-point drop past year, falling to 87.19 percent from 89.10 percent in 2016.
"There's always an overall picture that goes into a graduation rate on how did we get to that number", he said.
"We recognize there is still work to be done, and will continue to partner with local districts to ensure every student graduates prepared for life beyond high school", state Superintendent Jennifer McCormick said in a statement.
EACS was down similarly in 2017, with a graduation rate of 91.36 percent at its high schools and non-waiver rate of 81.11 percent. Beech Grove Schools, which enrolls just over 3,000 students, made the biggest jump of any district in the county, increasing 8 percentage points to 95 percent. Eighty-three percent of students graduated, up 6 percentage points from 2016.
Almost seventy West Virginia high schools were recognized for achieving graduation rates of 90 percent or greater during the 2016-2017 school year. The only campus with a substantially higher graduation rate that will remain open is Arsenal Technical High School. "We are very glad our students are seeing the importance of graduation". The overall graduation rate for all West Virginia high schools was 89.40 percent. They had a graduation rate of 61 percent, down 14 percentage points from previous year.
- Manchester United target two forwards if they miss out on Alexis Sanchez
- Oregon State women end Arizona State's win streak
- Plane skids off runway in northern Turkey
- Analysts See $1.14 EPS for CoreSite Realty (COR); Perkinelmer Has 1.31 Sentiment
- Iran calls fresh USA sanctions illegal, hostile
- EPL: Alexis Sanchez should choose Guardiola over Mourinho - Sherwood
- Trump's plan to deport those who entered United States illegally as kids blocked
- White House doc: Trump in 'excellent health'
- Mourinho explains how getting Alexis Sanchez will change his summer plans
- Ashley Judd Says James Franco's Response to Sexual Harassment Allegations was 'Terrific'