Imports from the North shrank 81.6 percent to $54 million in December, while exports to Pyongyang contracted by 23.4 percent to $260 million, AP said, citing a spokesman for the Chinese customs agency, Huang Songping.
A resolution adopted by the UN Security Council bans UN members from importing items including coal, iron ore and seafood from North Korea.
Japan has also reportedly criticized the meeting.
China reported earlier that its imports from North Korea plunged 33 percent a year ago - and 81.6 percent in December. All told, trade between the two sides fell nearly 51 percent during the month. The U.S. sees cutting off North Korea's economic ties with China - the country's dominant trading partner - as essential to forcing Kim back to the negotiating table.
Beijing will not attend an global meeting of foreign ministers in Canada to discuss North Korea, Reuters said, citing China's Foreign Ministry.
The ministers will discuss steps to thwart North Korea's evasion of sanctions, including through maritime interdiction, State Department Director of Policy Planning Brian Hook said in a press briefing.
Tensions sharply escalated previous year as Pyongyang tested its sixth nuclear weapon and three intercontinental ballistic missiles capable of striking the mainland U.S. The latest round passed last month.
Global News has learned China is not anticipated to attend an worldwide summit on the North Korean crisis in Vancouver next week.
Vice President Mike Pence will lead the official USA delegation.
Kang also echoed President Moon Jae-in's remarks during his Wednesday telephone conversation with U.S. President Donald Trump, giving credit to Washington for its weighty role to make the inter-Korean talks productive.
Earlier, a senior Seoul official said the South made a proposal to the North for both to form a united women's ice hockey team to participate in the Winter Olympics.
- African Union demands apology from Trump over racist comment
- Maharashtra: Four Wrestlers of Kranti Kushti Sankul Killed in Road Accident
- LG's Google Assistant smart display has been beaten with the ugly stick
- Stock Traders Buy Large Volume of AvalonBay Communities Call Options (NYSE:AVB)
- Ten-man Leicester hold lacklustre Chelsea
- Two Sigma Advisers LP Sells 172963 Shares of Amgen Inc. (AMGN)
- Trump says USA could stay in Paris deal
- Traders Sell Shares of Yum China (YUMC) on Strength (YUMC)
- Afam Capital Inc. Sells 2435 Shares of Caterpillar, Inc. (CAT)
- Barnes & Noble Education (NYSE:BNED) Receives Media Impact Score of 0.30