The CES 2018 event experienced a blackout Wednesday, putting one of the world's largest displays of tech and electronic devices at a standstill for almost two hours. "We are working with the power company to restore power as soon as possible".
In a statement, CES organiser, the Consumer Technology Association, blamed the outage on recent heavy rainfall which caused condensation on the venue's roof to short circuit one of the facility's transformers.
The Consumer Electronics Show lost its electrics shortly after 6am AEDT time, during the show's busiest hours, shutting down parts of the Las Vegas Convention Centre, including Central Hall where the show's biggest exhibits are located.
The Las Vegas Convention Center, where CES is taking place, is now experiencing what event organizers are calling an "isolated power outage". And still others were incredulous about how the biggest tech show in the world could lose electricity in the first place.
Multimillion-dollar installations from technology giants including Samsung, LG, Nikon, Panasonic, GoPro, Canon, Hisense, and Intel all fell dark, leaving crowds of people reaching for their mobile phones to light the way out. Power in the South Hall was restored within minutes, and power has now been fully restored to all areas. About that heavy rainfall: Record-breaking rain on Tuesday had already caused a bit of chaos at CES, flooding a number of booths, including one belonging to Google. Thanks for your continued patience. The hashtag #CESBlackout was born.
Initial reports about the power outage began appearing on Twitter around 11:14 a.m. PT, but the lights turned back on sometime around 1:00 p.m. PT. There's nothing more tragic than rows upon rows of blackened 4K HD TV displays.
"After coming to CES for so many years with all of the power draw that this show puts on, I was surprised that happened because it's never happened before to my knowledge", says Tim Alessi, head of home entertainment product marketing for LG Electronics USA.
Young woman plays violin to entertain attendees at the Intel booth during #CES2018 blackout.
- Trump Tweets 'Such Respect' for Iranian People, Pledges US Support
- China speaks for Iran nuclear deal, against United States unilateral sanctions
- Will there be another mudslide in Montecito?
- Bigg Boss 11: Vikas Gupta gets eliminated from the show
- Mairs & Power INC Has $18928000 Position in JP Morgan Chase & Co (JPM)
- Plane dangles off cliff after skidding off runway in Turkey
- Calm start to the weekend, but snow returns late Sunday
- Hamas member injured in Lebanon bomb blast
- Police hope for 'miracle' to find missing in mudslide
- Harry Kane becomes Tottenham's record Premier League goal scorer