The 39-year-old actor has been accused by a number of women of sexual misconduct, including two former acting students and "Breakfast Club" actress Ally Sheedy, and his friends have now expressed their concerns about the star - who has denied all claims made against him - as the scandal falls in the middle of awards season.
Franco was awarded the honour on Thursday night, for his role in The Disaster Artist, hours after the Los Angeles Times had published claims by five women that he had been sexually inappropriate.
"Look, in my life I pride myself on taking responsibility for things that I have done", Franco told Colbert. I have to do that to maintain my well-being. The things that I heard that were on Twitter are not accurate. "So, I don't want to shut them down in any way".
He continued, "I can't live if there's restitution to be made".
Franco's lawyer, Michael Plonsker, told the paper "the allegations about the protective guards are not accurate".
He won the award for best actor in a comedy or musical for "The Disaster Artist".
Sopan Deb, the reporter who had been slated to moderate the event Wednesday evening, tweeted that he had asked Franco to respond to the allegations, but the actor refused.
"I feel so bad that Sarah feels the way she does". I talked to them several times and told them if they were uncomfortable or did not like what was going on to come to me immediately and I would take care of it.
"I was talking to him, all of a sudden his penis was out. He is really hurt because he didn't know that we would be in a place where giving someone a voice would be giving someone a license to speak without any accountability". To extricate herself from the situation, she told Franco she spotted someone near the auto.
In a tweet, actress Violet Paley said Franco once attempted to force her to perform oral sex in a auto. That same night, multiple women spoke out against Franco over Twitter. She added that when there's diversity in the workplace, there is less abuse of power.
On the 10th of January, Franco addressed the claims once again. He also repeated his support for Time's Up.
He said if he has to "take a knock" then so be it.
In an email to HuffPost on Thursday, Paley said the LA Times article didn't include all of Franco's actions toward her.
Of Franco's remarks to Colbert and Meyers, Paley said they were "unfortunate because he is lying".
This article has been updated to include Paley's comments.
- Manchester United target two forwards if they miss out on Alexis Sanchez
- Anchor Capital Advisors LLC Maintains Position in Chevron Corporation (CVX)
- Huntington Bancshares Inc's (NASDAQ:HBAN) Sentiment is 0.96
- India vs South Africa: Host to bat first in second Test
- Analysts See $1.14 EPS for CoreSite Realty (COR); Perkinelmer Has 1.31 Sentiment
- YouTube hasn't shut the door on working with Logan Paul
- How Many Simon Property Group, Inc. (NYSE:SPG)'s Analysts Are Bullish?
- Chandigarh stalking case: Vikas Baral gets bail, Varnika still hopeful
- Analysts See $3.00 EPS for Essex Property Trust, Inc. (ESS)
- McCaffery: Nick Foles helped give underdog Eagles some unexpected bite