NWS has issued a Winter Weather Advisory.
A winter storm watch will be in effect from noon January 12 through 10 a.m. January 13 for much of Northeast Ohio, including Cuyahoga and Medina counties, according to the NWS. Total wet snow accumulations of up to 1 inch are expected, with localized amounts up to 3 inches. Cold air will be pushing in, but the hard factor will be how long the moisture lingers.
Blowing snow is possible Friday night as winds increase.
Then a cold front moves in and temperatures will drop into the teens by early Friday.
The weather service said the combination of melting snow and periods of rain will make rivers and streams rise, breaking up the ice but possibly causing ice jams to form. The ice that falls between the rain and snow will likely be our biggest danger.
SATURDAY NIGHT: Partly to mostly cloudy skies develop, with overnight low temperatures around 8 degrees. Light freezing rain possible to start, followed by snowfall of 3 to 5 inches. Colder air will push in through evening, changing the wintry mix over to snow showers through early Saturday morning.
Friday night, the low will be around 10, with a wind chill of between minus 1 and 4, and a north wind of 8 miles per hour, according to the weather service.
Warm weather and heavy rain could cause flooding
A strong cold front was moving through the state on Friday morning, along with scattered rain.
Winter storm Hunter also brought snow to Kansas and blizzard conditions to North Dakota.
Up to 9 inches of snow fell in parts of the Great Plains and western Great Lakes Thursday as the large storm system moved east. Visibility was close to zero at times in some parts of the region.
Ice expands to areas such as Hopkinsville, Clarksville, and Ashland City before 12 p.m.
Most of central and south Alabama will only get a cold rain.
Highs are expected to remain in the 20s through most of next week. There is still some uncertainty on how much and where the heaviest snow will fall. Coupled with high winds, travel could become extremely unsafe if not impossible.
- Facebook is about to make a huge change to your news feed
- Genworth Financial (GNW) Earns Media Impact Score of 0.26
- Youth should be encouraged to become 'innovators': PM Modi
- Holder Guild Investment Management INC Increased Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD (RCL) Stake
- Raw water is one of the dumbest wellness trends yet
- Can analysts adopt a bullish outlook for Mastercard Incorporated (NYSE:MA)?
- California agents seize Chris Brown's pet capuchin monkey
- Can Iran's Regime Survive 2018?
- Brokerages Set Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO) Price Target at $1.83
- Weekly Analysts' Ratings Changes for Western Digital Corporation (WDC)