The Canadian government is keeping a tight lid on which countries have been invited and plan to attend Tuesday's meeting, which Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland is organizing with U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
But diplomats also said they are not completely knowledgeable of how North Korea could achieve nuclear parity with a powerful United States. Meanwhile, U.S. Defense Secretary Jim Mattis will participate in a welcome dinner Monday.
The goal is to find ways to put the brakes on smuggling and money-laundering tactics North Korea employs to avoid United Nations sanctions and fund its nuclear program, as well as to prevent commodities like oil from being delivered to the country.
The meeting, co-hosted by the USA, has an invitation list that does not include Russian and China.
The meeting is ostensibly created to show global solidarity in the face of the North Korean threat, discuss ways to strengthen sanctions against the country and seek diplomatic solutions to the crisis.
The UN Security Council (UNSC) introduced yet another batch of tough economic sanctions, targeting, most of all, oil exports to the country on December 22, as a measure against its nuclear and missile tests.
"These officials feared that the USA was already trying to shape the battlefield for a military operation against the North, and that South Koreans do not seem to have grasped the reality that the Trump administration is set on a course for preventive war", Vorontsov wrote.
"We will not have any difficulties, even if our enemies introduce sanctions for 10 or 100 years", Kim said, as quoted by North Korea's state news agency KCNA.
To that end, North Korea has initiated talks to negotiate its entry into the upcoming Olympic Games in South Korea.
He also said that China would continue to make its own efforts to push the peninsula nuclear issue back to the track of dialogue and consultation as well as settlement.
"We will impose secondary sanctions when we need to, and that's something which the Chinese understand very clearly from our conversations", said Hook.
"The directive complements Canada's robust sanctions regime already in place against (North Korea) and reinforces Canada's public statements identifying North Korea as a jurisdiction of concern", Sweet said in an email.
- Chelsea Manning Files for Maryland US Senate Seat
- Rose McGowan Targets 'A--hole' James Franco After Critics' Choice Awards Win
- Seattle Genetics, Inc. (SGEN) Stake Lowered by National Planning Corp
- Danaher Corp (DHR) Stake Held by First Manhattan Company
- National Football League investigating whether Raiders broke Rooney Rule
- OR vs Arizona basketball
- African Union: Trump 's***hole' remarks dishonor 'American creed'
- First Bancorp (FBP): Insider Trading and Ownership Analysis
- SG Americas Securities LLC Takes Position in American States Water Company (AWR)
- Kate Couric on Matt Lauer: 'I Had No Idea'