After Thursday's high of near 70 degrees, temperatures aren't expected to climb out out of the 40s and 50s in Gulfport for the next seven days. The quick drop in temperature and rain followed by snow could very well create a repeat of earlier in the week with hazardous road conditions around the area.
"A cold front moves across the region late Friday night, bringing subfreezing temperatures back into the area Saturday".
"(Todays) temperatures should be a high of 58 degrees and a low of 28 degrees", he said. Wind chill values could be as low as minus 15 degrees from northwesterly, then southeasterly winds in the afternoon. The record high for the month was set on January 29, 2013, when the temperature reached 63 degrees.
Saturday night: Mostly cloudy, with a low near 5 degrees.
DAY: Mostly sunny, with a high near 28.
Tonight: Rain and sleet before 10 p.m., then freezing rain and sleet between 10 p.m. and 1 a.m., then snow after 1 a.m. The good news is that the precipitation will be coming to an end by midday Saturday so there shouldn't be much chance for any significant ice or snow accumulation. The low will be around 16.
Tuesday, a chance of snow showers.
The watch is in effect from Thursday night through Saturday night. The temperature is expected to warm slowly, starting on Martin Luther King Jr.
"Rain will change to a brief period of freezing rain and sleet by Saturday afternoon", the service said.
Forecasts are calling for highs in the teens and lows in the single digits again.
An AccuWeather projection shows a high of 24 with a low of zero for today, as snow tapers off with north-northwest winds gusting 19 miles per hour.
Sunday night, there is a 50 percent chance of snow after midnight, according to the weather service.
Wednesday: Sunny, with a high near 26. The arctic airmass, with temperatures in the 20s by the middle to late morning, will to lead to a flash freezing of precipitation that falls earlier in the day.
- Pep Guardiola eyes Gabriel Jesus return, tight-lipped on Alexis Sanchez
- BidaskClub Upgrades Take-Two Interactive Software (TTWO) to "Strong-Buy"
- Boeing's New Prototype Cargo Drone Can Carry up to 500 Pounds
- Man Fatally Shoots His Mother After Broken Video Game Headset Dispute
- Ibnale Sells 12500 Shares of Ultra Clean Holdings Inc (UCTT) Stock
- Kings of Confetti: Alabama celebrates national title No. 17
- Comcast (CMCSA) Earns "Outperform" Rating from Evercore ISI
- Barca midfielder Arda Turan joins Basaksehir on loan until 2020
- Federal judge temporaily blocks discontinuation of DACA program
- Bandai Namco Not Planning to Release Dark Souls Trilogy in America