Speaking to this newspaper over the telephone from the launch station at Shar, Dr Sivan said it is an honour to hold the post held by legendary leaders in space technology.
On his elevation, Sivan said: "This is a rare opportunity".
He studied in government schools in Tarakkanvilai and at neighbouring Valangumaravilai in Tamil medium.
Sivan is well-known for his contribution to the development of cryogenic engines for India's space programme and is now serving as the Director of Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre in Thiruvananthapuram.
During his tenure at ISRO and affiliate organisations, Sivan has contributed to multiple programmes including the development of Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) project- called the workhorse of ISRO-and contributed towards mission planning, mission design, mission integration and analysis. He completed his PhD in aerospace engineering from IIT-Bombay in 2006. He held various responsibilities during his stint in ISRO.
On 1 June 2015, he became the Director of VSSC. "It is a matter of pride for Tamil Nadu that a person from our state has attained such a high position through ability and dint of his hard work", Palaniswami said.
Sivan has received numerous awards throughout his career. The entire launch of satellites is expected to happen over a period of 2 hours and 21 seconds, it said.
Stalin, DMK Working President, also congratulated Sivan.
Senior space scientist Dr K Sivan has been appointed the new chairman of the ISRO.
He was also appointed secretary, department of space, and chairman of the Space Commission for three years.
With the Mission Readiness Review committee and Launch Authorisation Board of ISRO having cleared the countdown for the launch, the Indian space agency on Thursday said "the 28-hour countdown activity of PSLV-C40/Cartosat2 Series Satellite Mission has started at 05:29 hours IST today (Thursday)".
- Flu ravages the State of Texas!
- Melbourne storm as Maria Sharapova is handed a starring role
- Weekly Analysts' Ratings Changes for Western Digital Corporation (WDC)
- Raw water is one of the dumbest wellness trends yet
- Oil Price Retreats From $70 Level After Hitting A Three-Year High
- Alanís, comprometido con Chivas, emigrará en Verano
- House lawmakers approve crackdown on 'sanctuary cities' in Florida
- What's Behind the Numbers For MGM Resorts International (NYSE:MGM)?
- Dancing on Ice commentator QUITS skating show after just one episode
- Dark Souls Remastered: No HDR on PS4 Pro