A statement on the official Sam's Club Twitter account reads, "After a thorough review of our existing portfolio, we've chose to close a series of clubs and better align our locations with our strategy".
For the latest breaking news and stories from across the Tri-State, follow Eyewitness News on Facebook and Twitter.
Mr. Furner said that Sam's Club wanted to inform its employees of the closures before notifying the public. "I am not going to second-guess and change my mind at this point". "That shows you where our members are shopping", Hatfield said. "We have a mix of clubs and online".
"Right now that's what the customer wants", she said. They are located in Fort Worth, Texas, and Swedesboro, New Jersey.
"We are looking to convert up to 12 of our Clubs into fulfillment centers". "We are early in the stages of assessing the opportunities".
"We asked associates to come to the store Thursday morning so we could have a conversation in person with them and answer any questions they had". At least two locations in Houston closed without notice to employees, news station KHOU reported. "There is no easy way to lay people off", she said.
On Thursday, Walmart made a huge announcement that will positively affect many of their current and future employees: the starting wage rate will be $11/hour across the country.
Walmart is reportedly cutting 3,500 co-manager positions and adding 1,700 lower-paid assistant store managers.
Further, employees who have worked with the company for an extended period of time will receive bonuses, with those who have worked there for over 20 years receiving a one-time $1,000 bonus. Before, full-time hourly workers received 50 percent of their pay for leave. The money is applied to adoption agency fees, translation fees and legal expenses.
- Judge rules against Trump administration on rescinding DACA
- Dow jumps 135 points to record
- Winter storm to graze Oneida and Lincoln counties
- Berks-area lawmakers respond to Trump's immigration comments
- Facebook is about to make a huge change to your news feed
- Alexis Ohanian shares his fears, resolve after wife Serena Williams' labor 'ordeal'
- Helicopter with seven onboard goes missing from Mumbai
- Pakistani Army Chief Says Nation Felt 'Betrayed' by US
- Djokovic Back, Set for Australian Open
- Can analysts adopt a bullish outlook for Mastercard Incorporated (NYSE:MA)?