Innocent shoppers were forced to flee as activists swept through the stores, which included Africa's flagship H&M stores in the upmarket suburb of Sandton, Johannesburg. "#SAPS members had to intervene and dispersed the group of protesters by firing rubber bullets".
"There were few incidents that were reported in the East Rand. No arrests have been effected up to so far", Dlamini said.
Members of the Economic Freedom Fighters protested and trashed H&M stores in Gauteng on 13 January 2018 after a racist advert sparked outrage. "We are here to just remind them that the monkeys own this place", Mabunda said.
"We're not going to leave". The H&M signage outside the shop had been broken and red fragments were still on the floor. We want to call this management of this complex to make sure as from today this shop must close.
EFF protestors also targeted H&M stores in Cape Town, including the store in Canal Walk.
The global retailer, which has 4,500 stores in 62 countries, opened its first store in Africa two years ago and immediately found itself at the centre of a public backlash when it failed to feature any black models in its advertising.
"We trust that H&M will listen to our demands", he said.
The image advertising the £7.99 jumper was removed from H&M's USA and United Kingdom websites shortly after the outrage broke and the retailer quickly issued a statement apologising to "anyone it may have offended".
"In terms of accepting or not accepting your apology, it is not my prerogative". Many people accused the worldwide chain store of racism.
"We can't accept that H&M, after what they have done, is coming now and saying we apologise".
"The time of apologies for racism are over", he said. Ndlozi wrote on Twitter, posting pictures of a vandalised H&M store and video footage of chanting EFF supporters.
General manager of the Menlyn Park shopping centre Olive Ndebele confirmed the skirmishes.
- Constellation Brands (NYSE:STZ) PT Raised to $260.00
- Liam Neeson Calls Sexual Harassment Allegations in Hollywood a 'Witch Hunt'
- Is there a Bearish outlook for Huntsman Corporation (NYSE:HUN) this week?
- BidaskClub Upgrades Take-Two Interactive Software (TTWO) to "Strong-Buy"
- Trump asked why 'pretty Korean lady' analyst wasn't negotiating with North Korea
- Barca midfielder Arda Turan joins Basaksehir on loan until 2020
- Featured Stock for Investors: Teva Pharmaceutical Industries Limited (NYSE:TEVA)
- Expedia (NASDAQ:EXPE) Lifted to Buy at Bank of America
- Dark Souls Remastered upgraded for PS4 Pro, Xbox One X, PC
- $3 million grant provided by Japan to repatriate Rohingya Muslims