Following the presser, several Hall of Famers and alumni shared their thoughts about what Gruden will bring to the table. Cable's coming back, NFL Network reported Saturday afternoon, as offensive line coach.
Cable came to Seattle in 2011 after having been the head coach of the Raiders for 44 games from 2008-10 seasons and having been the offensive line coach in 2007-08 - Oakland ranked in the top 10 in rushing in the National Football League each season he was the OL coach there.
Gruden was signed to a 10-year contract worth as much as $100 million to replace Jack Del Rio, who was sacked on the same day as the Raiders' season finale. He was 17-27 in two-plus seasons as Raiders head coach.
Cable was also the subject of an ESPN "Outside the Lines" feature where his ex-wife and a former girl-friend accused him of being physically and verbally abusive. Cable was allegedly involved in a 2009 incident where then Raiders assistant Randy Hanson was left with a broken jaw. The Raiders had seven straight losing seasons before finishing.500 in what would be Cable's last season with the club. The NFL did not punish Cable, but Davis cited the allegations at a press conference following Cable's firing, saying he'd withheld pay from Cable during the 2010 season due to resulting litigation. He was replaced as head coach by Hue Jackson.
That will mean a reunion between the Seahawks and Cable for the Seattle-Oakland game in London next October 14. Cable is a longtime practitioner of zone blocking, with Marshawn Lynch having his best seasons behind a Cable-coached line with the Seahawks.
It remains to be seen how Cable will mesh with the Raiders' highly-paid offensive line. He finished the season with 891 yards but is not necessarily a lock to return next season.
However, after Seattle went just 9-7 and missed the playoffs for the first time since Cable's first season in 2011 this year, the Seahawks fired Cable on Wednesday.
- Which Insider sold 75021 Shares Of Cisco Systems, Inc. (CSCO)?
- Iran sanctions: Tehran vows retaliation over Trump move
- Daniil Medvedev fights back to beat Alex De Minaur in Sydney final
- Steady Activities: Jacobs Engineering Group Inc. (JEC), Activision Blizzard, Inc. (ATVI)
- CES 2018 Highlights: Amazon, LG, Asus and Many More Announcements
- Stock In Spotlight: Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company (NYSE:HPE)
- (XOM) Stake Lowered by Bollard Group LLC
- Continental Resources (CLR) Raised to "Strong-Buy" at Zacks Investment Research
- Oprah Winfrey "intrigued by the idea" of Running for US President
- Root, Gayle, Stokes among star attractions in IPL auction