Sharapova revealed she still believes she can be world number one. The occasion had an uneasy air about it when the Russian - whose last appearance here was two years ago, losing to her American rival in the quarter-finals and then serving 15 months for failing a drugs test - was invited to share the opening ceremony spotlight with the men's champion, Roger Federer.
With defending champion Serena Williams missing the tournament, organisers controversially chose Sharapova to represent the women's side of the draw.
Victoria Azarenka, another former champion, is also absent - because of a custody battle over her child - which left Angelique Kerber, who is playing in Sydney this week, as the only other former women's singles champion playing in the tournament.
Melbourne storm as Maria Sharapova is handed a starring role
Sharapova is back in Australia for the first time since being banned after a doping violation at the 2016 Open. 50th anniversary since she's won.
It's been nearly six years since Maria Sharapova was world No.1 and a decade since she won the Australian Open, but the Russian still hopes to achieve both once more as she rebuilds her tennis career. I have to back off sometimes and say this will take time. "And here I am in a sport that has given me so much - and I hope to have a family too". "It was the highlight of previous year, beating Wimbledon and all the other tournaments I played". Those observations created a brief but considerable storm.
When asked if Sharapova's inclusion and the grand way in which she was unveiled had been appropriate, Tiley added: "In fairness to Maria, the adjudication has occurred on that".
- Weak Intel AMT security lets hackers hijack corporate comps - research
- All you need to know about the Aus Open draw
- Volume Moving the Tape 0.11% For Alibaba Group Holding Ltd (BABA)
- Dancing on Ice commentator QUITS skating show after just one episode
- What's Behind the Numbers For MGM Resorts International (NYSE:MGM)?
- Weekly Analysts' Ratings Changes for Western Digital Corporation (WDC)
- 2-Minute Drill: NFL Divisional Round Picks
- Carrie Underwood, Ludacris score with Super Bowl, Olympic anthem, 'The Champion'
- Trump Says He'd Beat Oprah If She Runs For President
- Brokerages Set Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO) Price Target at $1.83