Life Time, a Minnesota-based chain of health clubs with 130 locations in 27 states, has made a decision to remove cable news from TVs in all of its facilities.
Life Time, a Minnesota-based company with 130 locations in 27 states, decided recently to remove cable news - both left- and right-leaning stations, including CNN, Fox News and MSNBC - from the large-screen TVs in its gyms.
USA, A&E, Discovery, HGTV, the local over-the-air stations and ESPN are all that remain on the visual menu of distractions while sweating off the caloric consequences of the holidays. "It is always our goal to meet the majority of members' expressed requests and we believe this change is consistent with the desires of overall membership as well as our healthy way of life philosophy".
The company also said the change is a commitment to provide a family-oriented environment, free of negative or politically-charged content.
One member interviewed by the Times said he would look for another gym if the cable news channels weren't restored by the end of the month.
"Most of our members are using fitness equipment that has personal options on the machines that offer television, music, guided fitness routines, Netflix and other news and entertainment channels", Schimml said. These TVs can be seen throughout the fitness areas, but can only be heard through headphones. Local news is still allowed. In 2015, the Huffington Post spoke with one psychologist who said violent media exposure can contribute to stress, anxiety, depression, or even post-traumatic stress disorder.
The decision has been met with mixed reactions.
"For many of us it's the only time to watch the news!" tweeted Grant Napear, a sports radio host based in Sacramento.
- Investment Research Analysts Opinion: Universal Display Corporation (OLED), Endeavour Silver Corp. (EXK)
- $4.95 Billion in Sales Expected for Danaher Co. (DHR) This Quarter
- Spartak Moscow Criticised For "Racist" Tweet About Own Players
- Trump language on Africa unacceptable, racist: Ghana
- White House physician: Trump in 'excellent health'
- Vuzix Showcases Alexa-enabled Vuzix Blade™ Smart Sunglasses at CES
- Kansas City Southern (KSU) Earning Somewhat Favorable News Coverage, Analysis Shows
- $1.27 EPS Expected for Microchip Technology Incorporated (MCHP)
- Wenger wants Sanchez to stay longer at Arsenal
- Is technical analysis on Wynn Resorts, Limited (WYNN) is useful?