It is an impressive start to the new year for Kerber, having won her four matches at last week's mixed teams Hopman Cup in Perth before her three victories in Sydney.
She will meet the victor of another quarterfinal between defending champion Agnieszka Radwanska and qualifier Camila Giorgi.
"Ash is a great player".
Barty held just once in the first set but reversed the momentum in the second when she broke in the ninth game after Gavrilova double faulted twice, which prompted the 23-year-old to smash her racquet in frustration and earn a code violation. "I know what to expect".
Barty will play in her first home WTA final on after overcoming compatriot Daria Gavrilova 3-6, 6-4, 6-2.
In a topsy-turvy match on Friday that included 11 breaks of serve, Barty needed just one in the third set to set up a final against Angelique Kerber or Camila Giorgi.
Kerber and Barty have split their two previous meetings a year ago with the Australian winning in Zhuhai, China, and the German winning in three sets in Brisbane last week.
"It's nice to make a final at home, but I think in my eyes it's flawless preparation for next week", Barty said.
"Being now in the semis again here, it's really a good feeling, especially that I had the goal, to have a lot of matches before going to Melbourne".
"We have set up a ideal platform for me to work with this year to try and go deep in tournaments, whether it's in Australia or in Europe or in the States".
Italian fourth seed Fabio Fognini set up a semi-final against qualifier Daniil Medvedev following a 7-6 (7-4), 6-7 (7-4), 6-2 marathon against Frenchman Adrian Mannarino. "Every match you win, you're glad to win it, no matter first round, second, so it goes step by step", Medvedev said. "Still, I'm just trying to focus on every match, trying to learn from every single match", Kerber said.
In the men's section, Australian teenager Alex de Minaur booked his spot in the final after rallying to beat Benoit Paire of France 4-6 6-1 6-1 in one hour and 50 minutes.
The 167th-ranked de Minaur, who will play his first ATP Tour final on Saturday, advanced to the Brisbane International semifinals last week.
- Navios Maritime Partners LP (NMM) Triple EMA Gaining Momentum
- Failed US deal forces a rethink at Ant
- Analysts' Activity: Intrepid Potash Inc (IPI)
- Stocks Securing Modest Gains: Tandem Diabetes Care, Inc. (NASDAQ:TNDM)
- ValuEngine Lowers Bill Barrett (NYSE:BBG) to Strong Sell
- S Korea, US discuss on developing ties with N Korea
- Why to Keeping Eye on Baxter International Inc. (BAX), Amgen Inc. (AMGN)?
- Home launches crash by 41% in 2017
- Singapore bans film on indicted Palestinian activist Ahed Tamimi
- NY City Councilmen Arrested as Immigrant Rights Leader Is Detained