The bill includes protections for so-called "Dreamers" but the president has said he will only sign a bill if it includes a border wall. Anyhow, where will we find the estimated $18 billion for the wall, since we just slashed government revenues with the recent tax reform. President Trump summoned lawmakers from both parties yesterday to discuss crafting a bill for people who were illegally brought here as children - the so called Dreamers.
Trump has produced a steady stream of mixed messages on DACA, beginning with his campaign promise to "immediately" terminate the program.
In a statement, White House spokesperson Sarah Sanders thanked the lawmakers on behalf of Trump and said the legislative proposal seeks to comply with the main priorities of the President for U.S. citizens. "The issue now is going to be - if this court ruling stands up, if it's not appealed - it'll be for DACA going forward".
Speaking at a press conference with the Norwegian prime minister in the White House, Mr Trump also reiterated his commitment to erecting his proposed border wall with Mexico. He's going to use that as his stake and say, you want that then I want a wall, I want to get rid of chain migration, and I want to get rid of the visa lottery.
Tonight's court ruling on #DACA affirms that no one is above the law!
COULTER:.And deport these DREAMers who are the worst of the illegals.
"What I'm saying is that a discussion about these issues is certainly on the table and the president wants to invite that discussion", Shah confirmed. "He's a fine and admirable general ... but we flat disagree on this".
It appears that Goodlatte's bill has strong Republican support in the House, but, should it pass, its future in the Senate is less clear. "Hopefully they'll eventually come together", Thune said. President Donald Trump ended DACA in September and announced earlier this week his plan to phase out the program.
"You're playing with people's lives".
Opinion writers Charles Lane, Molly Roberts, Jennifer Rubin and Dana Milbank talk about the chances of a DACA deal in this clip from the weekly news roundup "It's Only Thursday".
- Genworth Financial (GNW) Earns Media Impact Score of 0.26
- Police Arrest Suspect in Slaying of College Student in Calif.
- How Analysts Feel About Ross Stores, Inc. (NASDAQ:ROST)?
- Gerdau SA (NYSE:GGB) Future Growth Projections From Analysts
- "Animaniacs" to be revived with two new seasons on Hulu
- Brokerages Set Eldorado Gold Corp (EGO) Price Target at $1.83
- Rescued Canadian national Joshua Boyle arrested on multiple charges
- Sivan K appointed as Space Secretary
- Alanís, comprometido con Chivas, emigrará en Verano
- Can analysts adopt a bullish outlook for Mastercard Incorporated (NYSE:MA)?