Ryan Giggs has been interviewed for the Wales manager's job as the search for Chris Coleman's successor nears its conclusion, Press Association Sport understands.
Former United winger Giggs has been tipped to claim his first permanent role in management since Coleman stepped down in November to take over at Sunderland.
Wales have previously placed their trust in upcoming managers Mark Hughes and Gary Speed, who were 36 and 41 respectively when they were appointed, and now providing the interview went well the 44-year-old Giggs should be installed at the helm in time for Wales' next game against China in March.
Roberts knows the Welsh system inside out, as he has worked throughout all age grades. "We've got a world-class player in Gareth Bale, some great players just beneath, some really good young players coming through like Ethan Ampadu and Ben Woodburn", said Giggs in an interview with the Times last month.
Former Wales worldwide Carl Robinson, now Vancouver Whitecaps head coach, has also been under consideration having been urged to apply for the job by Aaron Ramsey and Gareth Bale.
At the end of an illustrious playing career at Old Trafford, Giggs was in caretaker charge of United for four games at the end of the 2013-14 season following the sacking of David Moyes.
But Giggs would not be a popular appointment with some Wales fans, who questioned his commitment during his 16-year worldwide playing career.
Mark Hughes, who was dismissed by Premier League side Stoke City earlier this month, is another of Giggs' potential rivals for a position he held from 1999-2004.
- Police Arrest Suspect in Slaying of College Student in Calif.
- Facebook is about to make a huge change to your news feed
- How Analysts Feel About Ross Stores, Inc. (NASDAQ:ROST)?
- Weekly Analysts' Ratings Changes for Western Digital Corporation (WDC)
- 49ers Reuben Foster arrested in Alabama
- "Animaniacs" to be revived with two new seasons on Hulu
- Dark Souls Remastered: No HDR on PS4 Pro
- Alanís, comprometido con Chivas, emigrará en Verano
- Oil Price Retreats From $70 Level After Hitting A Three-Year High
- Flood warning issued for Livingston County