The water in rivers, creeks and streams could rise several feet by Friday evening and with that rise of water, the ice will begin to break and jam up.
First off, a Flood Watch has been issued for all of Central NY from tonight through Saturday.
In much of northern and western Pennsylvania, upstate NY and northern New England, the rain will change to snow on Friday or Friday night, adding to the wintry mess. The river is at bank-full and expected to rise further with ongoing rainfall. So the combination of the warmth and the amount of rainfall, flooding and ice jams are a big concern.
As the heavy rains end, temperatures are expected to drop rapidly and will be below freezing by Saturday afternoon, potentially resulting in flash-freezing.
"In the event people have to leave their homes, we have plans in place to open up a facility, which right now is the East China Township Hall".
With heavy rain on the way, officials prepare for flooding
The weather service also warned of travel difficulties with slippery roads.
In addition, Long Islanders are urged to remain off of all frozen bodies of water - such as lakes, ponds - as increased temperatures and excessive rainfall may cause ice surfaces to weaken and become risky.
Taylor said Thursday that the county can expect to see periods of heavy rain, which will turn to six to eight inches of snow as colder air moves into the area.
Friday's forecast calls for a 100 percent chance of rain with thunderstorms also possible after 10 a.m. "And use caution while driving". One to one and a half inches of rain has already fallen.
Rain can increase the possibility of potential problems. Lows will be around 40 degrees, with a south wind 10 to 14 miles per hour. Then precipitation is going to change from rain to sleet and freezing rain. Winds will be coming from the northwest at 9 to 18 miles per hour, with gusts as high as 28 miles per hour. "However, the combination of the ice buildup and moderate sleet and snow accumulations will create unsafe conditions".
- 49ers Reuben Foster arrested in Alabama
- Judge rules against Trump administration on rescinding DACA
- Rescued Canadian national Joshua Boyle arrested on multiple charges
- How Analysts Feel About Ross Stores, Inc. (NASDAQ:ROST)?
- Oil Price Retreats From $70 Level After Hitting A Three-Year High
- Dow jumps 135 points to record
- Holder Guild Investment Management INC Increased Royal Caribbean Cruises LTD (RCL) Stake
- Melbourne storm as Maria Sharapova is handed a starring role
- Facebook is about to make a huge change to your news feed
- Sivan K appointed as Space Secretary