The Enforcement Directorate (ED) on Saturday conducted searches at the premises of former finance minister P Chidamabaram and his son Karti Chidambaram, in connection with the INX Media money laundering case. "I anticipated they will search premises in Chennai again but in a comedy of errors, they came to Jor Bagh", he quipped. The agency had raided properties of Karti's close aides in Chennai and Kolkata on December 1.
Official sources told PTI that the raids are being conducted in Delhi and Chennai since early morning. the report also mentioned that the Enforcement Directorate officials in Chennai and their counterparts from Delhi are involved in the operation.
The raids took place after Chidambaram failed to appear before the ED.
"Since they had the search warrant, I did not raise any objections to the search but I said I will record my protest that there is no FIR in respect of the scheduled crime registered by any investigating agency including the CBI".
In May 2017, CBI registered a case against Karti Chidambaram the son of former Finance Minister P. Chidambaram in the connection with a corruption case and involved in the alleged misuse of foreign funds by INX media.
Also ED did not find anything at Karti's homes in Delhi and Chennai.
He also added that Prime Minister Modi and his government use ED and the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) as "captive puppies".
The FIPB approval was supposed to go to the Cabinet Committee of Economic Affairs but Chidambaram senior allegedly approved it on his own and the amount for FIPB clearance was wrongly projected to hide facts.
The Aircel-Maxis deal refers to a series of allegations of kickbacks in the telecom sector, which was part of the wider 2G scam that engulfed the UPA regime.
During investigation, it was found that a company promoted by Karti and A. Palaniappan, a nephew of Chidambaram, allegedly received $2 lakh from Maxis Group in the guise of software consultancy.
- Person in Custody after 'Possible Hostage Situation' on Greyhound Bus
- Donald Trump: Shock over United States president's migrants remarks
- Mudslides And Flooding Kill 13 In Southern California
- Oil prices sit at three-year highs as march to $70 slows
- Dark Souls 2 And Dark Souls 3 Coming To Nintendo Switch
- In 1999, Trump wanted Oprah to be his vice-president
- West Ham could ditch £16m striker Hernandez
- Amid chip flap, Intel scurries to combat 'inaccurate media reports'
- Amazon's Alexa comes to cars, wearables and fitness devices to follow
- Helicopter with seven onboard goes missing from Mumbai