National Weather Service forecasts indicate that warmer weather-relatively-is on the way, with a high on Tuesday of 13 degrees and a slight chance of snow. The low temperature Monday was -9 degrees.
Monday night: Mostly clear, with a low around 24.
Lows are expected to be in the mid-teens and highs in the mid-fifties throughout the week.
The weather service has issued wind chill warnings for northwestern and central IL and wind chill advisories for the Chicago area and parts of central and southern IL. Organizers said the arctic blast made jumping into the lake too risky.
Brutal winter weather that's brought subzero temperatures to parts of the U.S.is threatening to dump snow and ice across areas of the South that rarely see flurries, much less accumulation. The previous record for that day was minus 23 degrees set in 1993.
The bitter cold is expected to give way, briefly at least, to a monster snowstorm with screaming winds that could drop more than a foot (0.3 meters) of snow in some areas on Thursday. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 35. New Yorkers can also file a heat-related complaint for non-residential buildings including senior centers, drug treatment facilities, private schools, daycares and government buildings.
LaGuardia recorded a low of 8 degrees, breaking a record of 11 degrees set in 1963.
We've now spent more than eight days with below freezing temperatures, including five days below zero. Sheriff's officials in Fond du Lac County, Wisconsin, said a 27-year-old woman whose body was found Monday evening on the shore of Lake Winnebago likely died of exposure.
Authorities opened warming shelters in the South as temperatures dipped notably close to zero in Alabama and Georgia.
Sunday: A 30 percent chance of showers.
To avoid catching hypothermia or other cold weather injuries, wearing the proper clothing will go a long way in keeping people warm.
- Trump Suggests He Has 'Very Good Relationship' With North Korea's Kim
- Photographer Terry Richardson Under Investigation by NYPD for Sex Crimes
- Nitish Kumar's convoy attacked in Buxar, 2 security men injured
- Boss still in dark over January budget
- Drew Barker Says He Will Transfer For His Graduate Season
- Robert W. Baird Reaffirms Hold Rating for Target (TGT)
- Kwara United's team bus involved in road crash
- Liverpool auto park fire: Insurance payouts estimated at £20m
- Ethiopia to close notorious prison and free all political prisoners
- WVU basketball: Mountaineers can stop the Trae Young hype train